Apron/Popping Strap Traditional Material?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Apron/Popping Strap Traditional Material?

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:You know, one of these jobbies, split in half
No, you don't want jobbies! (Said the Scot...)
Oh, dear. Yes. I mean, no. You don't want Scottish jobbies on your leg. :o
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Oh, dear. Yes. I mean, no. You don't want Scottish jobbies on your leg. :o
Or your chanter. Even if it's traditional for a working man's working man using what he naturally had on hand!

:boggle:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

My linguistic horizons thus broadened, I feel ever so much more a citizen of the world, now... :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

PJ wrote:Don't know about the seal. Chamois tends to be porous.
You know, I was coming around to that. Seems that my blue jeans did a perfectly fine job sealing the chanter end. I had a popping strap and used it, but not every time.
PJ wrote:Apart from the seal, leather helps reflect the sound, which I doubt chamois does.
There was someone - David Power, was it? - who had a particularly large popping strap that draped down, and I was told by someone else that enhancing sound reflection was exactly the reason for it.
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

Or you could just wear leather trousers, no issues then.

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ooh. Chaps.

Lends a certain je ne sais quoi to a piper's getup, to be sure. :wink:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Andy Conroy would apparently roll up his trouser leg and place the chanter on his thigh!!
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

PJ wrote:Andy Conroy would apparently roll up his trouser leg and place the chanter on his thigh!!
Not in polite company, one would hope.
Ken_C
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ken_C »

Nanohedron wrote:I seem to recall a fellow who used the top side of an old, beat-up work glove, fingers and all. You know, one of these jobbies, split in half:

He was a working man's working man, so it was perfect not so much because of the association, but that he'd used what he naturally had on hand. I thought that had to be about the coolest and fiercest popping strap ever on the whole darned planet. :thumbsup:
Would that be Mr. Jim Smith, once a lumberjack up your way, and now a farmer in Indiana? He is my piping inspiration and sometime advisor when I am back in Indiana. He and his wife say no matter how many times he has "lost" that glove, it always finds its way back to him!

Ken
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ken_C wrote:Would that be Mr. Jim Smith, once a lumberjack up your way, and now a farmer in Indiana? He is my piping inspiration and sometime advisor when I am back in Indiana. He and his wife say no matter how many times he has "lost" that glove, it always finds its way back to him!
It's been years, so I don't remember the name now, but I know we're talking about the very same guy: a compact, wiry, tough-as-nails fellow who was friendly, yet quietly commanded respect without even trying. You could tell he'd seen a thing or two. He was on a visit from his farm in Indiana along with his daughter (I don't remember what she played, but I recall she was no slouch, herself), and I heard the tale of the mysterious, ever-returning popping glove. He played a half set when I saw him, and that seemed to suit him just fine, thank you very much. A great guy, and I liked his playing a lot.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Yeah, that’s Jim Smith. Terrific guy. He was in town not so long ago, sessoning (with his fiddler wife, Kate) at Merlin’s. He had the same logging-mitten popping strap!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

yep, you're over thinking this one but O'Farrell says...
...the chanter must there rest on the knee, and for that purpose it would be requisite to provide a small piece of white leather to place on the knee, under the chanter as nothing else will stop the wind so well.
'White leather' refers to aldehyde-tanned leather (chrome-free). The gentlemen pipers of the protestant clergy may have used the pale skins of altar boys for all I know but I suspect common pipers used whatever was to hand and probably just the breeches. There are a million pieces of scrap upholstery leather available on Ebay for pennies in any colour you would like.

such as these...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sc ... r&_sacat=0
Mark
Aldwyn
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

Nanohedron wrote:Ooh. Chaps.

Lends a certain je ne sais quoi to a piper's getup, to be sure. :wink:
Perfect!

I wonder if the Village People need a piper?

:tomato:
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Aldwyn wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Ooh. Chaps.

Perfect!

I wonder if the Village People need a piper?

:tomato:
I loved their piping instruction video on triplets: "Why A-C-A?"
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Aldwyn
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

Ha! Nice!
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint