Preshaw Practice set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello there, im interested in finding out more about a set of pipes i have. i know its a well known maker but they are an early set. so im looking for good advice from people

Preshaw Practice set

Post by Cas »

Hi all
I'm in the possession of a lovely practice set of uilleann pipes made a long time ago by Martin Preshaw. Blackwood chanter in D leather bellows and synthetic bag (hope ive got the image link right!). However I have decided they aren't for me really and I'm thinking about moving onto SSPs instead.
Problem being I got them from swapsies (as always) a long time ago. So I don't really know how much I should be looking for for them? or in a perfect world how much they might be worth in another swap for a set of SSP
Any advice gratefully received :)

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Preshaw Practice set

Post by rorybbellows »

Here's good advice.
Do a survey of what's currently for sale in the way of working D chanters. Look at Pat D'Arcy's site (http://www.uilleannobsession.com), NPU (http://www.pipers.ie), and this site. Decide how badly you want to sell it, and price accordingly.

dave boling

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Cas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello there, im interested in finding out more about a set of pipes i have. i know its a well known maker but they are an early set. so im looking for good advice from people

Post by Cas »

that is really useful, thank you very much :)
was difficult to know what ball park to aim it at
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I have two sets and three chanters made by Martin, and I've had them for a few years, so I don't know what his current prices are like, you'd have to ask him - but I'm guessing that a concert pitch chanter without many keys (pretty much all of his chanters have a high C natural key) would run you in the neighborhood of £1200 for a new one. How much more for the bellows and bag, I really don't know. There are no practice sets for sale on his web site currently.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.