Quiet Practice Set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Quiet Practice Set?

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for the link. He looks good and the prices are not unreasonable but, as stated earlier, I think my plans to learn the pipes will have to be shelved until circumstances change and I can practice/play them without offending my wife and neighbours.
irishmuse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by irishmuse »

If you have an ipad Mike Eskin's Uilleann app gives you a variety of keys to play in and solves the problem of annoying noise for others if you stick on a pair of headphones. You don't have to deal with reed, bellows and bag issues admittedly, but that removes a whole series of beginner frustrations. Great fun also if you play around with Garage Band or similar apps. Just in time for Xmas too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5Mjt6XoZE
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks but unfortunately I don't have access to an ipad!!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Less costly than a practice set tho.... :D

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Ha! Not sure it is, Steve, judging from the prices I've been looking at!

Cheers
Mike
m coulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by m coulter »

There's a set of second hand V Pipes advertised for sale over on Uilleannforum.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.