Favored Knot?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Aldwyn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Favored Knot?

Post by Aldwyn »

I am finding that the hose between my bag and bellows is pulling out on both ends a lot more these days, so adding more thread is in order. I may just use some waxed dental floss... but I am wondering, no matter what I use, what is the favored knot type folks use for the hose joints?

Thanks!
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Favored Knot?

Post by PJ »

Clove hitch.
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

As a waxed dental floss user myself, I never used a knot. I just let the wax and friction hold it together.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
awildman

Post by awildman »

Not sure what type of setup you've got, but it sounds like you're just threading a fitting for a tighter fit. If this is the case, I agree with Nano - no knots. It seems to me that knots in a fitting are detrimental to a good seal. You want a uniform coating, and a knot hard counters that goal.
Aldwyn
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

Thanks guys!

I am going to try just adding a few winds to the joints to see if that will help. Otherwise, I am going to be going out and getting a longer piece of hose, in wich case, the join will get fresh thread.
Kirk Lynch half set
Pocket lint
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I'd recommend against waxed floss, waxed thread, plummer's tape, or any media that compresses and stays compressed. I suggest some fuzzy cotton thread (maybe run it over a lump of beeswax) for joints in that it expands and contracts and provides a measure of friction for a better grip.

My two bits.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

tommykleen wrote:I suggest some fuzzy cotton thread (maybe run it over a lump of beeswax) for joints in that it expands and contracts and provides a measure of friction for a better grip..
I do the same: cotton thread run through beeswax.
Life is good.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

tommykleen wrote:I'd recommend against waxed floss, waxed thread, plummer's tape, or any media that compresses and stays compressed. I suggest some fuzzy cotton thread (maybe run it over a lump of beeswax) for joints in that it expands and contracts and provides a measure of friction for a better grip.

My two bits.
Ah. Of course my habit of using waxed floss migrated over from playing the flute, where moisture is an issue. This is not the case, of course, with bellow-blown instruments. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Aldwyn

Post by Aldwyn »

Ok, then a follow-up. :D Any particular size of cotton thread?

Thanks!
Kirk Lynch half set
Pocket lint
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Would a slightly longer tube not be an easier fix?

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Aldwyn

Post by Aldwyn »

I suspect that is where I will end up going, but figured I would try a few wraps first to see.

But the more I play, the more I am leaning toward a longer tube.
Kirk Lynch half set
Pocket lint
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Aldwyn wrote:Ok, then a follow-up. :D Any particular size of cotton thread?

Thanks!
I use 30 wt 100% cotton thread that I bought at a fabric store.
Life is good.
john

Post by john »

i don't know how to tie knots - however, i play the tune 'the knotted cord' which is named as 'junior crehan's favourite' on the first planxty record - i've also seen 'the wise maid' referred to as 'the knotted cord' - irrelevant to the topic but lovely tunes all the same