Are DRONES essential in learning process?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Are DRONES essential in learning process?

Post by Peter Duggan »

s1m0n wrote:But the OP should understand that there is a trade-off to tackling drones early, and that that's why practice sets exist in the first place.
Think the main trade-off is expense?

Not from the uilleann pipe world, but the LBPS hires out single-drone Scottish smallpipe sets made by Richard Evans. That's what got me started (briefly) on SSP before I got my standard Ian Kinnear and Lochalsh Pipes sets, but AFAIK they're unique in the SSP world. Sometimes I still practice smallpipes or border pipes with just one or two drones (occasionally even performing that way), but couldn't recommend an inability to play with drones at all as useful to anyone. For sure there's some equivalence in the GHB 'goose', but I don't know how widely they're still used.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:So what's the benefit to having drones you don't use? Besides getting used to their physical presence, I suppose.
I've already covered that, numerous times. I'm getting tired of repeating myself.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

s1m0n wrote:So what's the benefit to having drones you don't use? Besides getting used to their physical presence, I suppose.
Assuming you don't play pipes (sorry, I'm not sure), get some pipes (any type of pipes) and try playing them with and without drone(s). The value of having drone(s) available will quickly become apparent, whether or not you use them all the time.

Master of nine?
soft&warm

Post by soft&warm »

Thanks to everyone involved in this post. I only had good intentions with it, si I hope it won't go in bad direction!

Mybe its time to try explaining the original question from oposite direction. The pure traditionalists and Spillane or synths haters can just ignore this post.

I started with pipes only becouse Spillane lament, nothing else, period! If I wouldn't hear it at that point, I would still only play my Fender Stratocaster and singing. In that piece of course there is no drones use and that is also the way I will use them 80% of the time.

Have no mistake – I do like the sound of drones but mostly in C or B pitch, with rare exceptions in D: mybe D. Quinn drones + 2 others. I heard only few live.

My question about drones was actualy only this: will the use of drones help me to have perfectly consistent pressure control in both octaves, stability and proper bellows bag use, also AFTER I plug them OFF and play only the chanter?

Or I will get used of them and then I will have difficulties being truly steady without them. Plus the less air requirement after the drones will be off could triger the nonefficient bellows movements ect.

I hope it is clear what I'm actualy trying to say and ask. Thank you!!!
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

soft&warm wrote:My question about drones was actualy only this: will the use of drones help me to have perfectly consistent pressure control in both octaves, stability and proper bellows bag use, also AFTER I plug them OFF and play only the chanter?

Or I will get used of them and then I will have difficulties being truly steady without them. Plus the less air requirement after the drones will be off could triger the nonefficient bellows movements ect.
Playing with drone(s) will improve your control for good whether or not you keep using them.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

soft&warm wrote:Or I will get used of them and then I will have difficulties being truly steady without them.
No. Your control will come to be all the finer for it, whether the drones are on or off.

But if it's just one tune that's inspired you to try the uilleann pipes, you might want to assess your commitment for the long haul. If it's in question, then a practice set alone would probably be best until you know for sure. My recommendation in favor of drones hinges solely on the supposition that the beginner is absolutely committed to tackling this instrument for years to come. Without that, there's no point to getting drones right off the bat. There's a difference between trying the pipes, and taking them up. If it's the latter, yes, get the drones. If it's the former, then it's probably best to hold off yet.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

To try a different answer to Simon's question, you can also practice the drones with no chanter. It's easier to learn bag control with drones, without have to worry about the chanter and vice versa, and you have the choice to bring them together.

I played a practice set for 3 years, thought I had made good practice, and was shocked at how I more or less had to start from scratch about the most basic part of the instrument-namely steady and controlled bag pressure.

Sure I could play tunes (I am a woodwind player) on a chanter, but I couldn't play the bagpipes.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I'm with Nano on this one, on all counts, especially so with regard to his comments on commitment. The uilleann pipes are such a unique (and difficult) instrument, that few if any without real passion for them will persist long enough to get decent at them. Furthermore, to get decent at them, you're going to have to gain a real appreciation for Irish traditional music, and (arguably) to a lesser extent an appreciation for the Irish language, culture, geography, and history. In my opinion anyway.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
soft&warm

Post by soft&warm »

Nanohedron wrote:But if it's just one tune that's inspired you to try the uilleann pipes, you might want to assess your commitment for the long haul.
It was one tune at the beggining when I heard it (8 years ago), but after that many other come as well.
The pipes are my obsession - I wanted to quit few times, but I always came back, so I think they will stay in my life.
Thank you
An Draighean wrote: Furthermore, to get decent at them, you're going to have to gain a real appreciation for Irish traditional music, and (arguably) to a lesser extent an appreciation for the Irish language, culture, geography, and history.
I agree. All these grow in me last few years and I now like to listen full sets very much - I just have my own taste who I like more (Ronan Browne ect.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

soft&warm wrote:...I just have my own taste who I like more (Ronan Browne ect.)
Well, if it's been 8 years and you're making informed choices, I'd say you're probably hooked! ...Get the drones. :poke:
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

I think one should keep in mind why there are drones in the first place. Although the chanter sounds fine by itself, it’s when it’s combined with drones that the magic takes place.

I feel that playing pipes is different than just listening to pipes. As a listener the drones are nice and add a good counter balance to the chanter, but very rarely are you close enough to hear all that is happening. As a player when all the drones and chanter are in tune with each other, the sound just steps up like magic and surrounds you. I’d started with small pipes and they were fun, but with the larger drones, and all the drones in D, and in tune, the harmonics are just so much fun. The first time when I got everything together, I was amazed.

I’m not really describing the effect very well, but the drones interacting with the chanter are what make the instrument special.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Absolutely. Once you get the drones, you really won't be satisfied without them any more, and for good reason. You will also now have a whole instrument. What could be better? Sure, regs, yeah, but those truly are optional, even if it's a goal.

And turning them off and on is fun anyway. I was playing with them off, once, when the cat came up, sniffed at the bass drone's end, and, well ... you wouldn't resist, either. Of course I had to turn them on. You should've seen her sproing up into the air. Got all puffy-like. :lol:
m coulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by m coulter »

I wonder how many people took up the pipes as a direct result of watching Davey Spillane playing on the Point Theatre recording? 22 years ago now.. Interesting the visual impact the full set makes even though it's just the chanter being played, admittedly with effects and synths.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

m coulter wrote:I wonder how many people took up the pipes as a direct result of watching Davey Spillane playing on the Point Theatre recording? 22 years ago now..
Entirely too many. :devil:
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

... Davey Spillane ...
Who? :wink: