Northeast *Scotland* tionol in Edzell

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TheSilverSpear
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Northeast *Scotland* tionol in Edzell

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Yeah, I wish I could make the one in East Durham, NY, but nevermind.

Anyone ever been to this? Some tuition on the regs would not be amiss, but I also want the craic -- late night tunes and crawling into classes hungover sort of nonsense. Are there sessions at this thing as well, like at the US equivalent?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Northeast *Scotland* tionol in Edzell

Post by Peter Duggan »

Not been to Ian's uilleann piping course (because I don't play uilleann pipes), but have attended several of his Scottish smallpiping weekends...

So, to answer your question in a way I think you'll get, let's just say I wrote the tune Lang Nichts an Cauld Wind for smallpipes after one memorable November weekend when we joked there should be three room tariffs with the established 'single room' and 'shared room' joined by 'no room'! There have always been sessions, late nights and quantities of drink consumed, so can't see his uilleann piping weekends being too different (or tame). And his wife is a great cook!

Edit: but I think the Burn has in-house catering, so Julie-Anne's only cooked when the courses have been elsewhere.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Ian Kinnear
Tell us something.: I live in NE Scotland and am a smallpipe and uilleann pipe maker.
Also teach and run courses for both instruments.

Re: Northeast *Scotland* tionol in Edzell

Post by Ian Kinnear »

Thanks for your interest in our Tionol in Scotland. We will definitely have sessions as well as playing and reedmaking workshops. I know the tutors (Jarlath Henderson, Dinny Quigley and Paddy O'Hare) will all be up for tunes in the evenings and with players of this quality the tunes and craic should be great! We have folk signed up from the Netherlands, Switzerland, England and Ireland and a few Scots too so should be a great international gathering. I know I know many of them play other instruments too which always helps for the evening sessions. Be great if you are up for it!