Music for the Irish Pipes - Joe Doyle

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Music for the Irish Pipes - Joe Doyle

Post by RLines »

Just returned from a weekend in Dublin, much of my time spent at NPU. While I was there I picked up a copy of Joe Doyle's new book 'Music for the Irish Pipes'. I wanted to take a minute to say what wonderful resource it is.

There's lots of great tunes obviously, but that's only the start. Joe makes an effort to provide settings of tunes linked to individual players rather than simply session standard versions (although those find a place as well). These tunes typically include good notes of where and from whom he got a particular setting. It's not uncommon to find more than one setting of a tune, either pitched to different levels of ability (i.e. beginner or advanced versions), or different settings of the same tune as played or recored by different pipers. Lots of lovely photos as well. The overall production values of the publication are very high, and it's a lovely thing to look at and hold. A nice touch for those who don't read music is that all the tunes are written down both as dots and as letters.

This is a must have for pipers of all levels. I highly recommend it and can't wait to really get stuck into it over the Xmas holidays.

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
Pyper

Re: Music for the Irish Pipes - Joe Doyle

Post by Pyper »

I love mine! It's a great resource for any player. If I could only have one book of music, this would be it!
I wish I had this years ago! It's that great!
jack london
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Post by jack london »

I agree. I just got mine yesterday. The book is full of great tunes.
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Joe, like his house is a shrine to Uilleann piping .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
CorneliusG
Tell us something.: I'm a new Uillean piper (5 years), but a GHB piper of several decades. I'm interested in this forum for the information I can gather on the UP. I work with a UP teacher, but he's the only one I know who plays and I can't be bothering him all the time. (That's not really me in the photo.)

Post by CorneliusG »

Yes, just got mine yesterday and am amazed at its many features, all noted by others here.

But I wouldn't have known about it without this forum, which is just as excellent. Thanks to all those who pass on their knowledge of the piping arts here!
CorneliusG
Tell us something.: I'm a new Uillean piper (5 years), but a GHB piper of several decades. I'm interested in this forum for the information I can gather on the UP. I work with a UP teacher, but he's the only one I know who plays and I can't be bothering him all the time. (That's not really me in the photo.)

Post by CorneliusG »

Yes, just got mine yesterday and am amazed at its many features, all noted by others here.

But I wouldn't have known about it without this forum, which is just as excellent. Thanks to all those who pass on their knowledge of the piping arts here!
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I think I will purchase it soon myself! I'll be looking forward to it!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Nanook69
Tell us something.: Starting to play the low whistle,highland piper starting a new musicical adventure
Would like to play the Irish pipes someday if I get the low whistle down and learn to use bellows

Post by Nanook69 »

Where does one purchase a copy when living in the USA
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Where does one purchase a copy when living in the USA
Na Piobairi Uillleann. Here : Music for the Irish Pipes - Doyle
My brain hurts

chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

I thought I had read somewhere that a second volume is coming (possibly soon?) Is there any verification for this and would anyone know when it's due?