1863 Uilleann Piper prints on sale to support SWUP

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

1863 Uilleann Piper prints on sale to support SWUP

Post by RLines »

The South Wales Uilleann Pipers Club have produced a limited run of 25 high quality prints of a previously unknown painting of an uilleann piper by Irish artist William Henry Stopford (1842-1890).

I purchased the original watercolour at auction earlier this year, and have donated its use to the Pipers Club as a fundraiser. The fine old painting shows a standing piper playing on a cobblestoned street alongside his dog. The piper is playing a single regulator boxwood set of pipes, with a popping strap and a fringed bag. The painting is signed by the artist and dated 1863.

William Henry Stopford was born in Cork, and was a noted painter of watercolours whose career is documented in the Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913). This particular painting was exhibited in Glasgow (1865), Perth (1870), Edinburgh (1872), Liverpool (1878), Glasgow (1883), Newcastle (1892) and Manchester (1899). A full write up on the newly discovered painting will appear in An Piobaire later this year.

The reproductions are printed on heavy high quality art paper and are individually numbered by the Pipers Club. The print image measures 11” x 14.5” , the same as the original painting. There is an additional 2” white border around the image making them perfect for framing.

Prints are available for £35/€40/$45 which includes all shipping costs. PM me here or email rhonndapiper[at]gmail[dot]com.

All proceeds go to support the activities of the South Wales Uilleann Pipers Club!!

My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: 1863 Uilleann Piper prints on sale to support SWUP

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thanks, Rick! I got mine in the mail today and it is superb: printed on high-quality paper with much more detail and color than the picture suggests. Worth every penny and more! I'm taking it to be framed today so that I can put it up in the house. Thanks again, Dan
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Thanks Dan. Glad you like the print!

Thanks for pointing out the colour contrast. The prints are actually quite a bit more vibrant in colour than the image I posted above, which was was taken while the original watercolour was under glass in its frame. When the printmaker removed the painting from the frame to scan it he noted that the glass in the frame is the original 19th century glass which has a slight greenish hue. This makes the painting look darker in when the frame than it actually is. As you note, the prints themselves are a fair bit brighter.

We still have more of these beautiful and rare prints for sale. All proceeds go to support the South Wales Uilleann Piping Club.

Thanks
Rick
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

The South Wales Pipers still have some prints available to purchase. Thanks to NPU for promoting our fundraiser in the latest An Piobaire, which has really boosted interest.

All the feedback from purchasers has been really positive. Here is a nice email we received today from a piper in the UK who bought a print earlier this week.

'I just wanted to let you know that the piper and his dog arrived safely this morning. And what an absolutely beautiful print you have had made of it! It’s a very moving picture, and we will frame it. You’d never know, if you didn’t know, that it wasn’t an original.'
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Following our South Wales Tionol and Concert this past weekend we still have a small number of these prints left. We've dropped the price to £20 for anyone interested in snapping up one of the final handful. PM me for details. Thanks
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Only 2 prints left now! Help us sell out and support piping in South Wales!
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

All prints are sold now. Thanks to all those who bought one and supported the club!
My YouTube