It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:50 pm 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
s1m0n wrote:
Next time you do this, go to settings / power management (or similar) and change what happens when you close the lid from "sleep" or "hibernate" to "shut off the display" when you're plugged in, and this won't happen again. Don't do it in the midst because it might mean a reboot. It sounds like this might have been an issue last time, too. In fact, if you're the habit of doing long-running stuff (compilations or downloads, etc) in the background, it's a good thing to do anyway. It'll stop windows from joggling your elbow like that again.

Thanks s1m0n. I'll bear that in mind for next time. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 pm 

And in the meantime, put a springclamp or elephant clip on the torso of your computer, such that you can't close it all the way. That'll break the reflex and remind you that you need to leave it open.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:28 pm 
Moderatorer

Clamps, schmamps. Every time he does it he should report for a spanking. :twisted:

"An anti-lunacy gadget would be nice..." - Nano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:34 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
Clamps, schmamps. Every time he does it he should report for a spanking. :twisted:

You want to make S&M jokes but you think my mild f*rt jokes are beyond the pale? f*rt jokes are the very heart of humour; there isn't a culture in the world in which a f*rt joke isn't funny.

Edited: and for anyone who cares, the auto-censor can't handle capitol-F farts. Regardless of what you type, lower case seems to be the only option.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:19 am 

Done! :party:

I have switched the Search function back on. I should be grateful for any feedback - it is working, it's not working, Ben's a prune, whatever. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:41 am 
Moderatorer

s1m0n wrote:
You want to make S&M jokes...

I don't want to; I did. If I wanted to, I imagine you'd see a lot more of it.

s1m0n wrote:
...but you think my mild f*rt jokes are beyond the pale?

Only for me, s1m0n; only for me. I don't see why you're dragging in another interaction from elsewhere to make contentious comparisons here. First of all, I engaged you there as far as I could; it might be interpretation, but here, instead of engaging me in turn, it looks more like pointing fingers right out of the starting gate. To me, it's not the same thing. C'mon, where's your sportsman's spirit? If you thought my squeamishness was by way of a moderatorial edict, it wasn't. I made no pronouncements suggesting my personal tastes should officially be good for all. Why else do we have the word filter, otherwise? You can carry on about f*rts all you want - not that people will love you for it. And it's fair that we take member complaints into account. But just as equally, I'm committing no wrongs by implying people might do better, in my view - not that people will love me for that, either. To that I say, "Meh." If I'd deleted it, then you'd have a leg to stand on. But I didn't. My objection was strictly on a personal basis, but I did my best to handle it with grace in hopes it would all be dropped and we could move on. In the course of a conversation I think that's fair enough - although in the end, you're free to make your own decisions - and I thought you would have gotten that from my choice of words. But if you dropped it simply because you think I was applying moderatorial pressure over such a small thing, you're wrong. That's on you. Or was it out of respect? That would be nice, so long as it's no different than the same respect you'd pay anyone else for the tough job of being on this Earth. Now, mods here are under no obligation to confine their Board activity to official capacities alone - and we're not even going to consider that it should be otherwise - so if something were a matter of official Admin concern, it would be quite clear. I can't beat around the bush when it comes to that, primarily because when it's official, keeping people off-balance and second-guessing you is counterproductive to good society. You lose trust. I try to keep my words soft in either case, and I may apply precision in both, but there's a real difference: one is play; the other is to the point, the point being essential to the Board, and it has nothing to do with me personally. There's no question in my mind as to which is which, but I suppose for others it may not be so easy, because in the end the coin always has two sides. This is reasonable enough. But only one side reflects the light at any given time. Now if instead you object to my choice of humor on a basis of personal taste (which, somehow, as an adult I can't imagine), then in terms of making objections, we have some parity to speak of.

Maybe I should preface nearly everything - for it would be nearly everything - with "Alert: Mod Hat Off." But who would believe me even then? Poor me. *sniff*

s1m0n wrote:
f*rt jokes are the very heart of humour; there isn't a culture in the world in which a f*rt joke isn't funny.

Chacun à son goût. I personally wouldn't say "heart" so much as I'd say "bottom of the barrel". But the same goes for spanking; I have no illusions about that. What I'm saying here that just because something is "cultural", it doesn't mean it behooves one to knuckle under and get on board. You've heard about the 10,000 flies, no doubt?

Anyway, enough of this tired stuff. Hooray, Ben. Looks good, so far as I can tell. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:06 pm 

benhall.1 wrote:
Ben's a prune

'The prunes are openly revolting.'

Thanks, Ben! Got my active topics back and guessing disabling search for the duration of the job got us there quicker! :)

Some old stuff, written and played by me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:14 pm 

benhall.1 wrote:
Ben's a prune
Ben's a peach. :party:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:27 pm 

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Ben's a prune

'The prunes are openly revolting.'*

Thanks, Ben! Got my active topics back and guessing disabling search for the duration of the job got us there quicker! :)

It did! It immediately speeded things up, so that will be my default for next time.

Now, not that I want to think about next time, but I'm hoping that it won't be too soon. However, if the thing starts to deteriorate seriously, please do let me know. The soonest I intend to do this again is about March, so nag me then. :)

* Gosh! Molesworth. Haven't read him for a while. Hello clouds! Hello sky! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:31 pm 

Tunborough wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Ben's a prune
Ben's a peach. :party:

Awww! That is really sweet. Thanks Tunborough!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm 

benhall.1 wrote:
It did! It immediately speeded things up, so that will be my default for next time.

Think you have to because (no matter how 'good' your C&F users) there are search URLs recorded and crawled out there which no polite requests made here can hide:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.chiffandfipple.com%2Fsearch.php

Quote:
* Gosh! Molesworth. Haven't read him for a while. Hello clouds! Hello sky! :)

Typically the first thing that comes into my head when someone mentions prunes (which I actually like), so not surprised to strike a chord there! :)

PS And you do have guest searches allowed; I've just logged out and tried it.

Some old stuff, written and played by me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:11 pm 

Peter Duggan wrote:

Ah. In that case ... see, the trouble is, I don't see a way to disable searches for guests. The method I've just used to turn the function off is just that: a switch that turns it on or off. There are all sorts of permissions one can grant, but they tend to be a bit convoluted in phpBB forums, and sometimes the consequences are not exactly as one might have imagined. Sadly, they also change whenever we do an upgrade. I don't know why they do that. It's like with anything in IT these days - every time there's an 'upgrade' something is lost.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:12 pm 
Moderatorer

Peter Duggan wrote:

This is why I'm wondering if being logged in makes more of a difference to Ben's efforts. But probably not, I expect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:19 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:

This is why I'm wondering if being logged in makes more of a difference to Ben's efforts. But probably not, I expect.

It doesn't seem to matter all that much. Looking at the speeds over the last few days, it's been quickest, admittedly, when the US is asleep, but overall it did speed up quite a bit after I disabled the Search function. I'd still have been ploughing on tomorrow morning other than that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 am 

For what it's worth in the future...

I spent years running another online forum called The Flute Portal, and one thing I discovered is that when it comes to online forums, nobody is paying attention to the announcements at the top of the page.

Your post advising people not to use the search function was probably seen by a very small percentage of people visiting the site. I saw it by accident, because despite my experience running a forum I don't always look around carefully each time I drop in, especially if I'm in a hurry. I just open the page, click the forum I want to check out and go about my business. I've found that is what most forum visitors do as well.

As ridiculous as it sounds, the only way to really get everyone's attention is probably to post a glaring announcement (as a new topic) in every single sub-forum, using all caps and exclamation points :-) (EDIT: It actually looks like you did something very like this--I only visit the flute forum so it took me a minute to realize it :-)

Later you can delete the threads. I saw the announcement for the first time today, days after it was made even though I've dropped in every day in between (but to my credit, I never utilized the search function in that time!).

I can't tell you how many times I had to direct people to the forum user's guidelines because the vast majority of people who registered never bothered to look at them even though they were the first thing you'd see at the top of the page.

Last edited by Geoffrey Ellis on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.