Skeptics

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
orbis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Skeptics

Post by orbis »

Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. "Roger O'Keeffe", and "Tony" for welcoming me to the forum.
I must admit, I was a bit surprised by the skepticism that people had toward my offer for the free program to slow tunes down. I am new to uilleann piping and don't really know whether uilleann pipers stick together and try to help one another out or not. I've been playing highland pipes for about 17 years now, and it's been my experience that pipers recognize their common bond, and try their best to help our their fellow pipers any way they can. Is it not the same w/ Irish pipers? (I assumed that the same sentiment would carry over to the uilleann group as well; was I wrong perhaps?)
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Don't worry about it, Orb, you just got caught in the turbulence created by some previous thrashing around about commercial posts masquerading as bona fide members' contributions to the community.

There used in fact to be some lore about uilleann pipers being mean-minded gits who wouldn't share their tunes or techniques, but that was all 19th-century stuff among professionals that the US Special Trade Representative's office would now describe as intellectual property rights. Modern uilleann pipers are a helpful bunch, realising that they have a shared affliction. Most of us are much more relaxed than the GHB fraternity, who, on the Eastern side of the Atlantic in any event, tend to be a bit over-influenced by the British army version of the anal-obsessive personality (duck and cover).
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar