Aebi Chanters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Aebi Chanters

Post by rorybbellows »

sjcavy wrote:What Kennedy are we talking about and why did you say that he didn't make great pipes?
Maybe I jumped the gun, but I assumed (always a bad idea) the Kennedy mentioned in the OP was a Maurice Kennedy Chanter, but maybe a chanter by some other Kennedy.
I never said that Maurice Kennedy didn't make great pipes but I never heard anyone say he did either. The only piper I know who played Maurice Kennedy pipes on recordings was Tomas O'Canainn. So here you can decide for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75D_KQv4Go

RORY
PS (The only piper I know who played Maurice Kennedy pipes on recordings was Tomas O'Canainn.) On seconds thoughts thats open to correction, it could have been a Crowley set.
I'm Spartacus .
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

AFAIK, Tomás played a Crowley set with a Kennedy chanter.
All the old Finbar Furey recordings (pre 1976) were played on his Kennedy set.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

"Speak of the Devil..." Check out BigDavy's latest eBay post!
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

Anyone have any more information? I am enjoying this thread. Anyone know which Rowesome chanter that Tom copied? I am going to start making reeds soon for my chanter, nervous endeavor.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

sjcavy wrote:Anyone have any more information? I am enjoying this thread. Anyone know which Rowesome chanter that Tom copied? I am going to start making reeds soon for my chanter, nervous endeavor.
Why don't you contact Tom and ask him? All of my experiences with him are positive and he's a very friendly person. In the US, Miami-based Kinch O'Kaine, who used to contribute lots to this forum, is an expert on making reeds for Aebi chanters and, apparently, is a friend of Tom.
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

I talk to both of them quite often. I was asking you guys.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Well, which Rowsome chanter did Tom use as the model for his Rowsome-styled chanter?
interbernd

Post by interbernd »

I own an Aebi - C Chanter. Tom made it for me two years ago. It's a very nice instrument. I like the mellow sound and it's wonderful sounding hard E. The chanter plays very well in tune, also in the dry continental german wintertime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_L3heLYvG4
sjcavy

Post by sjcavy »

Berndt,

That's class! Lovely. You make the reed?
interbernd

Post by interbernd »

Thank you Sean.

Yes I (try to) make the reeds by myself. Tom gave me the specifications and now I'm on the long journey to find the "golden reed".
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Tidy style there Berndt, very nice. Nice sounding drones and chanter.
sjcavy

Post by sjcavy »

Yeah I have to start making reeds myself. I love my half set.