Uilleann piper in New Orleans?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Islandpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Uilleann piper in New Orleans?

Post by Islandpiper »

I am off to NOLA in less than 12 hours. Wondered if there is a U.Piper in town who would like to get together at Crown and Anchor or some other pub and gab a bit. Write me or post here. See you there.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Best shot at finding anybody who would know about an uilleann piper is O'Flaherty's on Toulouse in the French Quarter (unless you know more than I do which is likely since I've not been there for a few years). I did once meet the granddaughter of an uilleann piper. Apparently her grandfather is Tobin of Tobin's Jig. She had a big book of tunes from a St. Louis pipers club. I have a copy of the jig in the book. She has his pipes too but you never know for sure in NOLA... there are a lot of characters.
If you do find one O'Flaherty's might not be the place to gab as it's often a bit crowded and loud.
Cheers,
Aaron
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

I have been flying out of NOLA for 5 years every Friday and I haven't been able to track one down, again a good idea to talk to Danny O'Flaherty at his pub in the Freanch Quarter, a lovely guy and plays Friday (maybe Saturday) night and I think there's a session on Sundays.

Tim
seamus clark

re:new orleans piper

Post by seamus clark »

as far as I know,i'm the closest(jackson ms.),head o'er to o'flaherty's,there's an open ceili every sat. night.
james clark
rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper »

im over here in birmingham, al....if you come through this way send me an email and we can get together and play some tunes.

trent