'Piping of Patsy Touhey' book

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

'Piping of Patsy Touhey' book

Post by RLines »

This is probably a long shot, but I'm hoping someone might have a copy of The Piping of Patsy Touhey by Pat Mitchell and Jackie Small that they might be willing to part with? Please PM me.

Thanks
Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
Dave R
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: 'Piping of Patsy Touhey' book

Post by Dave R »

RLines wrote:This is probably a long shot, but I'm hoping someone might have a copy of The Piping of Patsy Touhey by Pat Mitchell and Jackie Small that they might be willing to part with? Please PM me.

Thanks
Rick
Rick, I wanted a copy and contacted NPU. They said they could make me a copy for £25.00. They were considering updating it and reprinting as more tunes had come to light, but not made a final decision yet.

Dave
If it only drones, it must be a politician!
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Thanks Dave. That is good to know.

And thanks also to the Chiff member who has graciously offered me a copy of the book. So my search is over.

Cheers
Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'd very much like to get my hands on a copy of this as well
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

FWIW, ITMA still has the accompanying CD for sale.
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Mr.Gumby wrote:FWIW, ITMA still has the accompanying CD for sale.

Thank you, it's the book I'm after. The library of Congress has it and its not far from me, but there's a complicated registration process and a long wait for delivery at the LOC, and I want a copy I can mark up.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It is probably useful, especially for a non piper, to actually hear the music in order to fully understand the notations, especially the detailed way they deal with non legato and staccato playing that are central to Touhey's technique. Hence the suggestion. That, and I happened to spot the CD for sale yesterday.

It's also important to realise the book used all of Touhey's recordings known at the time of writing. However, a very considerable amount of material has since come to light. Tom Busby closely guarded his collection and only let bits and pieces out, which were used in the book. The full cylinder recordings have become available since his death. The Francis O'Neill cylinder collection that has since been rediscovered also had a considerable cache of Touhey recordings, all in all casting him in a different light as a piper.

Above an option for obtaining it was suggested:
I wanted a copy and contacted NPU. They said they could make me a copy for £25.00.
My brain hurts

PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It is probably useful, especially for a non piper, to actually hear the music in order to fully understand the notations, especially the detailed way they deal with non legato and staccato playing that are central to Touhey's technique. Hence the suggestion. That, and I happened to spot the CD for sale yesterday.

It's also important to realise the book used all of Touhey's recordings known at the time of writing. However, a very considerable amount of material has since come to light. Tom Busby closely guarded his collection and only let bits and pieces out, which were used in the book. The full cylinder recordings have become available since his death. The Francis O'Neill cylinder collection that has since been rediscovered also had a considerable cache of Touhey recordings, all in all casting him in a different light as a piper.

Above an option for obtaining it was suggested:
I wanted a copy and contacted NPU. They said they could make me a copy for £25.00.

I actually have a pretty good idea of what I'm about here. Have already contacted NPU. Already have an archive of Touhey's playing
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Fair enough.
My brain hurts

buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Why would anyone 'closely guard' such material? Tom Busby was a real gentleman and very generous from what I have read. It's similar to the Johnny Doran recordings being 'kept back' for many years, a bit strange really. As ever, thanks for the valuable input, Peter L.