FS: Cillian Ó Briain boxwood chanter w/C natural key

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

FS: Cillian Ó Briain boxwood chanter w/C natural key

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Hi, folks!

Thanks for taking the time to look.

I have for sale a concert pitch D chanter by Cillian Ó Briain made from boxwood with brass mounts and a post-mounted C natural key. I bought this chanter as part of the first practice set that I got from Cillian when I was living in Dingle back in 2000. As is sometimes the case with boxwood chanters, the wood is a bit warped. It was in this condition at the time that I bought it from Cillian, and it has no effect whatsoever on the tone or playability of the chanter.

Cillian Ó Briain chanters are known for their distinctive scalloped-holed appearance (which makes them very comfortable to play) and are played by some of Ireland's best pipers, including Gay, Conor, and Seán McKeon; Blackie O'Connell, Mickey Dunne; and Mick Coyne, just to name a few examples. They rarely come up for sale, and Cillian can be somewhat notorious for having long or closed waiting lists.

The chanter comes with a reed made by Alan Burton, who has extensive experience reeding Cillian's instruments.

Price: U.S. $900 + shipping
(As this is a boxwood chanter, there's no need for CITES import or export permits. Yaaay!)

Reason for selling: I got a four-keyed chanter when I upgraded to a 3/4 set, so I rarely play this one anymore. I'd like it to go to a good home.

BlownAlaskan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a wanna-be piper in North America looking to connect with other pipers around the world....................................................................................................................!

Re: FS: Cillian Ó Briain boxwood chanter w/C natural key

Post by BlownAlaskan »

Looks like this chanter has lots of character! I sent you a message on it.

Thanks,
Ben
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: FS: Cillian Ó Briain boxwood chanter w/C natural key

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Aaaaaaaand sold!

Thanks for looking!

(And for any flute players out there, I STILL have a great flute for sale. See the Flute Forum for details.)