Off the shelf

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bagpipeworks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Off the shelf

Post by bagpipeworks »

Dear Pipers

It was the Pakistani pipes that I was reffering to earlier, being sold from any retail outlet, what I can't understand is, these pipes are being sold along side the good stuff by Bruce and others and the shop keepers know this to be true, so why sell the bad stuff, because they are chasing the money plain and simple.

If these shops really cared about the industry, the customer satisfaction, why on earth try and undermine the good stuff by selling total crap, I know these pipes have been re-vamped by some makers but, whats the point, its,

like buying a standard car and bolting on all the goodies to make it sound like a much faster car, you still have the standard version and a dream or vision of what the real thing should sound like.

How many more beginners are going to spend their hard earned cash on a set of inferior pipes and find out they cannot play the dam things, all their money has gone, they will not be able to afford another set for quite a while until they either save up or so or sell on the crap set in order to recoup some of their money.

This is just where the unfortunate second time buyer of that crap set is going to be when he too finds out that they don't work, yes he can give it to someone and have it altered etc, by the time they have paid that person the extra money it might well come to the same price as the good instrument sitting next to it, its a big circle and its up to us to stop the rot, we are all in the industry together, makers of pipes reeds etc.

I value all that has been said on this thread and now have a clearer view to what the masses are thinking ref marketting etc, but I would still rather not have my stuff being sold along side the crap stuff, really though you should have seen the dissapointment on the guys face when I advised him to take them back for a refund, thats OK but the gaurantee had run out, he had been struggling with the set for months all he wanted to do was to start playing, he gave up I think.

Davy. :D
Davey

Knowing the customer...

Post by Davey »

I understand and agree with many of the points being made...however. I think that too often we assume that UP's are just like any other instrument..guitar, viola etc. They're not. Nor do I* think they ever will be. And as far as the customer/maker relationship. My pipes are like my children to me...I WANT to know the people that are playing them. And be able to provide any and all support necessary.

This comes from the perspective of a a one-time copier repair man. I was CONSTANTLY reaping the rewards from the broken promises of salepeople. They sow the dream, we reap the nightmare. I accept that my post may have seemed an attack on marketers or the business world in general. I simply don't think that a relationship between an outlet and the UP maker is a preferential one. Again...simply my opinions, I've been known to be wrong before! :roll:

DB
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

So what do you do?
Piping is on the rise. That means more and more low quality (actually it's no so much the quality, it's the design) poorly designed pipes will be sold... probably higher numbers than well made pipes.

Question to Davy and Davey...
do you hold tight and say 'tradition' I'll only sell direct and let the retailers buy from companies and importers who continue to market one octave plastic reeded practice sets (with pictures of smiling pipers on the cover of the box) to a bunch of wannabe pipers?

Is there a solution?
Certainly I don't know. But I predict guys like Patrick Murray http://www.thepiperscut.com/ will have their hands full making entry level practice sets.
Davey

what to do?

Post by Davey »

Boy I don't know Tony...what DO you do?
Me? Well yes, I WILL say "tradition". Personally I don't want to attach MY name to something sold to a stranger...not knowing what s/he's been told or promised etc. and unable to support that product...

I guess only time will tell. For me? Well...I'll just keep making pipes because it gives me purpose and great joy. :D

...edited for this comment...

Actually, I was thinking about this over the weekend as I just sent off a practice set. Maybe there will be a division in the market...niches so to speak. People like Patrick, who put out quality practice sets for a fair introductory price. And those that ONLY produce "entire" instruments. I've spoken with other makers who have long said they'd rather produce entire sets rather than components. Some makers HATE making full sets, some HATE making just practice sets. It DOES make sense to operate that way. What other artist produces art in increments? (pipemakers ARE artists, in my opinion) I can just see it.."and here is a Michaelangelo 1/2 painting...it was later upgraded to a full painting by Picasso..." :lol:

DB
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

:-)