New York customs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New York customs

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Just got a bill from NY State customs for uilleann pipes shipped from France. has anyone else run into this problem?
Its FADA not FA...space limitation I guess.

New York pipers check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/332419835911/ (Cumann na bPíobairí Uilleann Inis Fada, the Long Island Uilleann Pipers Club)
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: New York customs

Post by Ian Lawther »

Under the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, section 9205.90.20.00, bagpipes are free duty (see page 1130 of this very large pdf https://www.usitc.gov/publications/hts/pub2030.pdf ).

I think the problem arises when the specific word "bagpipes" is not on the customs slip. A friend had the same problem with a set of Northumbrian pipes (also in NY) some years back and as far as I remember was able to claim a refund. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago so I can't check that.

I think you have a choice between leaving them in the hands of customs while you argue the case before you get them, or paying up then arguing for the refund. My memory was that my friend paid and reclaimed the fee because he did not trust them to store them safely.......

Ian
PCL

Post by PCL »

Prior to use of the term, 'union pipes,' our instrument was referred to as the Irish bagpipes. In 'The Sydney Morning Herald' of Saturday 17 March 1855, there is an advertisement for sale of a set of 'Irish bagpipes.' This is the Harrington set now owned by Geoff Woof. Perhaps it's time to reinstate the Irish bagpipes.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Didn't know that states could levy customs. Are you sure it isn't state sales tax?
PJ
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

It's probably U.S. Customs and Border Protection. There are approx. 328 ports of entry for people and goods entering the U.S., located in the various states There are a number of ports of entry in New York state, including often packages through JFK airport. There are also deferred locations when decisions on entry cannot be easily made. I don't know if there are any such specifically for goods.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I asked whether it's State sales tax because bagpipes are generally exempt from customs duties (taxes on imports), but not sales taxes (taxes on sales). I've been billed by Canada Border Services for chanters I've imported (or even sent to the US to be reeded, and then reimported). When I questioned the bill, they informed me that it was not import duty but federal and provincial sales taxes.
PJ
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

PJ wrote:I asked whether it's State sales tax because bagpipes are generally exempt from customs duties (taxes on imports), but not sales taxes (taxes on sales). I've been billed by Canada Border Services for chanters I've imported (or even sent to the US to be reeded, and then reimported). When I questioned the bill, they informed me that it was not import duty but federal and provincial sales taxes.
U.S. Customs (Customs and Border Protection=cbp) does not collect Sales Tax on behalf of the state. While one might receive a bill from the State Board of Equalization for Sales or Use Tax, the OP would not be contacted by Customs regarding it.

Indded, though, there might be a problem with the pipes not having been declared properly as bagpipes, and with the code from the Harmonized Tariff Schedule to indicate the exemption. The OP should probably pay any duty being collected to gain possession of the pipes, and then appeal for reimbursement of the paid amount.
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

PJ wrote:I asked whether it's State sales tax because bagpipes are generally exempt from customs duties (taxes on imports), but not sales taxes (taxes on sales). I've been billed by Canada Border Services for chanters I've imported (or even sent to the US to be reeded, and then reimported). When I questioned the bill, they informed me that it was not import duty but federal and provincial sales taxes.

In general, U.S. states do not charge a sales tax for goods purchased outside, and then imported into the state.
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

PCL wrote:Prior to use of the term, 'union pipes,' our instrument was referred to as the Irish bagpipes. In 'The Sydney Morning Herald' of Saturday 17 March 1855, there is an advertisement for sale of a set of 'Irish bagpipes.' This is the Harrington set now owned by Geoff Woof. Perhaps it's time to reinstate the Irish bagpipes.

I agree whole heartedly with PCL on this point!!!!!! I really detest the use of 'Ullieanns' as a name for 'The Pipes' or in the correct Irish sense 'A Pipes'. Uilleann Pipes is the label that is quite usually used these days but when people say "I'm going to learn the Uilleanns". or " can I get some Uilleann reeds ?".... that sticks in my craw... just my opinion.

Geoff.

PS; OP, sorry to read of your import problems... hope you can resolve the issue.
Last edited by geoff wooff on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

geoff wooff wrote: I agree whole heartedly with PCL on this point!!!!!! I really detest the use of 'Ullieanns' as a name for 'The Pipes' or in the correct Irish sense 'A Pipes'.

Geoff.

PS; OP, sorry to read of your import problems... hope you can resolve the issue.
I also really dislike hearing "so you play the you-leanns?". From what I remember, we were stuck with this name by W.H. Grattan Flood, that unimpeachable :P purveyor of Irish musical history. Why can't we take it back? Is there anyone who enjoys trying to explain why our instrument is all about the elbows? Would a trombone player prefer calling his instrument the "right arm bugle"? Myself being a rank beginner in Gaeilge, would union translate to comhaontú, aontacht, or aontas to convey the meaning of amalgamation? English speakers would say Irish bagpipes, or union bagpipes.
It's our instrument, we can call it the union pipes, Irish pipes, or "demon with seven bloody reeds" if we want. I call for a boycott on the common use of the word "uilleann" when used in association with the pipes. A polite correction to anyone using this word, in all of its variety of pronunciations, would accomplish the banishment of this term to the dustbin of musical history with the arpegionne, basset horn, serpentine, sacbut, etc.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Why on Earth would you want to call an Irish instrument by an English name . Uilleann pipes it is .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

rorybbellows wrote:Why on Earth would you want to call an Irish instrument by an English name . Uilleann pipes it is .

RORY
Why do you use the word "pipes"? :-? :P

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Because we are talking in English .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

It is a NY state sales tax. They say that I imported personal property into NYS from abroad. Upon entry, it is subject to New York state and local sales and compensating use tax totalling $3,445.00, including penalties and interest.
Its FADA not FA...space limitation I guess.

New York pipers check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/332419835911/ (Cumann na bPíobairí Uilleann Inis Fada, the Long Island Uilleann Pipers Club)
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa wrote:It is a NY state sales tax. They say that I imported personal property into NYS from abroad. Upon entry, it is subject to New York state and local sales and compensating use tax totalling $3,445.00, including penalties and interest.
Wow! That's either a $40k set of pipes, or those penalties and interest are incredible. How many years has it been that they've built up that much?