V pipes arrived!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

V pipes arrived!

Post by buskerSean »

I'm at work, but have been notified that my V pipes have arrived at home. Thanks to Dan for being so helpful with postage! Can't wait to try 'em out later.
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Re: V pipes arrived!

Post by buskerSean »

Well, they work as advertised. It'll be fun trying out all the settings
buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

A few days in & I am finding these 'pipes' so much fun. Late night & early morning practice are now possible. The software seems a bit random and the hardware (buttons etc) are a bit clunky, but overall I am happy with them.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

buskerSean wrote:A few days in & I am finding these 'pipes' so much fun. Late night & early morning practice are now possible. The software seems a bit random and the hardware (buttons etc) are a bit clunky, but overall I am happy with them.
I am very pleased that you are happy with them. I never had any issues with them and used them to practice in a stretch of time when I had to wait in my car everyday until my daughter got out of school. That situation changed and I just stopped using them as much. I think there's lots of neat stuff you can do with them and wish you the best with them.
buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

Cheers, Dan. The V pipes have been everything I wanted, practicing with headphones being the major one. Soooo many opportunities to practice. Anyone wanting to replace actual pipes would probably be disapponted, although in many live, mic'd up situations the V pipes might even be a better proposition, especially when travelling to reed unfriendly climates!

Also the sheer versitility is amazing. My fave key to play in is Bb at the moment.

The only downside, and it's not inconsiderable is the maker is part-time at best & is almost impossible to contact. Anyone tried the Redpipes uilleann version? These may not be as good as they mainly based around other types of pipes, but with an 'uilleann mode' the maker for these seems full time.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Drifting a bit—I have an acquaintance with a set of V-pipes from the first year of manufacture. Have the pipes changed over time? If so, can the electronic aspects be easily upgraded?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

Hi Steve, yes the V pipes can be electonically updated at any time. My other love is cycling and electronic gears are similar, Shimano just offered updated functionality to owners of older types via software updates.

I've just been playing them. Ramon (the inventor) is a genius!
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

I have had no problem reaching the maker (Ramon) by email. I wore out the first battery and needed a new one. He had to jump through a bunch of recently imposed hoops for shipping batteries internationally, but he stayed with it and got it done - and stayed in communication the whole time.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

That is good to hear
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

I'm also still happy although I do not play as often as when I got them. I once had a defect with the pressure sensor. I assumed my fault -after warranty time- but he repaired w/o costs. Great & friendly man in Spain. He constructed a genius instrument while implementing all aspects of the Uilleann pipes.
Christian Tietje
buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

Really appreciating the 'no bag' mode right now. Just sat on the sofa at my folks, chilling. Learning a few tunes. There's just no way I'd get this much practice without them.