Cleaning Advice

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
SEAGULL
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Cleaning Advice

Post by SEAGULL »

Hello,

My set is in need of a good cleaning. I was wondering if there were any cleaning tips for brass/wood. Last time I polished up the brass I had a hard time getting in all those little parts. Any recommendations? Also, is there something you do for wood?

I appreciate the feedback! Also, I am assuming there might be another thread out there but I can't seem to find it. Thanks a ton!
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Re: Cleaning Advice

Post by Christian Tietje »

Hello Seagull,

after some years of searching & testing I now use 'Neverdull' - I think imported from USA. It's a kind of absorbent cotton saturated with polishing fluid for silver, brass, copper. Works really nice and easy, perfect shining, result comes immediately after beginning. But the shining will last on brass not longer than one or two weeks. Therefore many years agoI ordered for subsequently silver plating (made by my pipe maker). The shining on that lasts for years before getting dull. But do not use Neverdull on wood. It's not harmfull for wood but white powder will stuck in every gap and seam.
Christian Tietje
uillmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by uillmann »

You might also try "Sunshine Cloth." Works great.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Years ago I was recommended Cape Cod polishing cloth and does the job well. More recently Derrick Gleeson put me on to Renaissance wax, a micro crystalline wax developed by the British museum for the conservation of artefacts. Applied to cleaned pipes (and other things) it helps a great deal keeping them clean and looking fine.
My brain hurts

tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Advice: consult your pipemaker (if at all possible) before applying anything to your set.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Advice: consult your pipemaker (if at all possible) before applying anything to your set.
Note this stuff was recommended to me by a pipemaker whose judgement I respect, in the knowledge he wouldn't recommend something like this lightly. I have used the wax, once, a year ago, after reading up on it and mention it in the knowledge my pipes haven't fallen apart or re-grown mould but instead have the metal parts look as pristine as they were after I cleaned them a year ago. I am quite happy with the result, hence the mention. I have no dog in this fight, just an experience to share, take or leave as you see fit.
My brain hurts

JR

Post by JR »

How is the Renaissance wax on the wood? Not necessary?

Currently use Cape Cod-can recommend for metal.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

How is the Renaissance wax on the wood? Not necessary?
In museum circles the use of micro-crystalline waxes on wood is not fully agreed on so you'll have to make up your own mind about that. I did however use it on some parts that were affected by recurring mould spots (there's what a few wet winters in a West Clare cottage will do for you) and so far, so good. Read up on the pros and cons though before proceeding.
My brain hurts

BzzzzT

Post by BzzzzT »

I second Renaissance wax. It works great. It WILL NOT hurt your pipes as it is totally inert. It was developed by the British Museum to protect objects including paper. Many things you see in museums are coated with it for protection. It is a synthetic wax and it gives a finish that is totally clear and durable. I used to use it on my nickle silver B set and I have used it professionally. Good stuff. I buy mine at Talus, but I think you can get it on Amazon. It is also used on instruments BTW.

- Jason
SEAGULL
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

This is super helpful. Thanks all!
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

There is another option and that is not to clean at all. Especially with brass its understandable wanting to remove verdigris, but brass with a deep even patina has a beauty of its own .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Oldpiping
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Oldpiping »

Anyone tried to compare Neverdull, Cape Cod and Sunsine cloth? What was the result?
Which of them is most easily available on some European online website? Its PITA to always buy everything from USA.

I remember Marcus Coulter once suggested nice metal polish called PEEK. I gues it is UK made! Anyone tried it?
Thanks

BTW, one of the very best makers alive, uses the Renaissance wax as a final stage of wood finishing for his pipes, so it must be a safe and good enought product!