Tying in a new bag

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oldemanwinters
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking to join the community of Traditional players and expand my knowledge of this music genre. Also to seek aid in playing the uilleann pipes and flute.

Tying in a new bag

Post by Oldemanwinters »

I'm ordering a new bag and have a couple of questions. I can't really go off of my old bag, so Is there a general rule of placement for trying in the stocks? I see a lot of people ask for your height, so what would be the relation of height to stock position on the bag? I have a half set. Thanks!
bcullen

Re: Tying in a new bag

Post by bcullen »

Yeah I also wondered if there was a formula I would think girth would be a variable.Anyway there are a couple of good tips and measurements on "you tube" that I used. One thing that worked for me is to cut the 2 holes pick a method, there are a few, but tie in the drone stock first as you can use the bellows hole to assist in positioning The stock. I also slide the stocks over a piece of bike tube and when tied I can fold the tube over the string specially as I use bright orange brickies twine. Very tidy (pun) :thumbsup:

Oh yeah as a newbie I was always and possible still will crinp the neck of the bag and was concerned about airflow so I inserted a tube before i tied up the chanter stock. (just a thought)
geoff wooff

Re: Tying in a new bag

Post by geoff wooff »

My method of positioning the stock tie ins:

New bag... Inflate fully by mouth and firmly close the neck end to keep the wind in. Then place the bag on a hard chair and sit on it. The bag should stay inflated... if it does not it may need 'seasoning'... check with the bag maker. When it is air tight proceed...

Decide how long the neck should be, measure off your old bag if possible and add or subtract depending on your comfort with the old bag neck. If that is not possible then offer up the bag to your body when sitting on a suitable chair and holding your chanter in the playing position estimate where your bag neg should terminate... allowing for the neck end stock. Cut the bag to that length and tie in the neck end stock... repeat the airtightness test to make sure you have tied in the stock correctly.

Now sit again in your playing position, inflate the bag and block the outlet with a finger. Place the bag in your desired playing position and hold it with your arm whilst offering up the main body of the set to where you think is going to be a comfortable position for the drones and playing the regulators. By rubbing the mainstock cup (or fitting ) against the bag it should be possible to 'mark the position' to tie in.

Repeat for the blow pipe stock... estimating a position on the inflated bag that points the blowpipe in the direction of your bellows.

Notes:
Depending on the thickness/ stiffness of the hide and the shape of your bag there can be a tendancy for the drones and regulators to angle away from your body... sliding down towards your knee. Therefore it is best not to tie the mainstock cup too near the welt ( the sewn bit) of the bag.

Some people like to crouch into the pipes, Paddy Keenan style, where the regulators lay flatter across the legs and the bag is more horizontal with the shorter D chanters , this can call for a lower tie in position of the mainstock. With the longer chanters of the flat sets the bag can sit under the arm at 45° (or more) to the horizontal... the neck stretching up to the swanneck feed and the mainstock tends to be tied in higher up the bag. All a matter of taste, type of pipes , size of person.

Bag neck lengths can vary with sitting position... the smallest piper I know has a preference for the longest necked bag... and vice versa.
So, no dimensions , just position everything until it feels right... good luck.