My set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Calum Stewart
antispam: No

My set

Post by Calum Stewart »

Hi guys,

I'm very humbled that it's of interest, so, following on from enquiries inside and outside of this forum, I thought I'd give a run down of my set.

My set comes from a few makers, made up from Benedict Koehler ( D chanter), Dave Williams (drones), Eamonn Curran (regs) with additional chanters from my good friend Andy May and Sam Lawrence. I suppose the set is a personalised / custom set up to some degree, as the G# and F nat key work on the chanter was made to my specs by an oboe key maker I know (Benedict was totally cool with that), (the outside dimensions of chanter itself based on a rare old chunky Rowsome that passed through my hands), and the regulator set up is a reduced one, but allows me to play the regs how I like.

The tenor reg is as normal, but with only the lowest and 2nd lowest notes F# and G. The baritone reg is as normal but only has D, G and A (longer D key), and the bass reg isn't actually a bass reg at all... it's a 2nd baritone reg that plays E and B. So D, E, F#, G, A and B all easily accessible. The idea is that one can play single note 'drones' or fiddlesque 'double stopping' held root notes, for most keys that you'd play on pipes; D major / minor, E major / minor, G major / minor, A major / minor and B minor. Ran out of space for C, but E is a nice replacement for C reg moments and for me perhaps more 'useful' as allows adventures into A and Eminor.

All the reg notes are within the range of the chanter's 1st octave, as I really like the rich harmonic interplay when the notes are closer. I do love the bass reg sound too of course, who doesnt (??!), but you can't have everything! I've still got that pumpy Robbie Hannan D/F#, D/G chord vibe, but other than that, the idea is to do single notes. I love to listen to pipers who play complex reg chords and impressive full chordal / vampy styles, but for my own playing, I prefer to put all my energy into the chanter playing, backing that up on rare occasions, with subtle single note stuff - a bit like how a fiddler can do double stopping, or a concertina can hold a lower note drone for a few bars / phrases (or a whole tune if they want) to emphasise the tune playing on top.

Will have some videos / photos at some point on my site, (new album coming soon) but currently in process of replacing all the horrid fragile imitation ivory ferrules with mountain mahogany, which will hopefully give a nice look to the set, as the chanter itself is made from this really special 'magic' tone wood.

Less is more - scaling back the reg set up to allow easier access and a subtler reg approach. Not everyones cup of tea, but works for me.

Calum
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: My set

Post by tommykleen »

I totally get where you're coming from, Calum. I look forward to some photos and vids.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

I am seriously impressed The amount of thought and work that has gone into the new pipes..... (Sooo understated).
I have just finished a set of pipes and have learned enough to make an improved model.I
am constantly surprised by the combinations of chanters, reg, and drones not to mention reeds of all shapes and sizes
I hope somewhere someone is documenting and archiving all the plans and specs of pipes.
More power to the players who can articulate how they want there pipes to look and respond
Bryan
brassnebony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brassnebony »

Thanks Calum

Looking forward to hearing a demonstration
Oldpiping
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Oldpiping »

Thanks Calum for sharing your personal ideas which are very interesting! Its always nice to see something new in UP world. I hope to be able to buy your new album soon :) Can you share few photos of your chanter keys arrangement and say few words which bonuses gives you when you play. There are few makers out there who tried some new keywork ideas, but most stick with tradition. Who made the keys on your chanter if it is not the secret. Thanks again :thumbsup:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Very interesting Calum. I like the idea of the fiddle-like droning.

I also played a mongrel set for many years, 5 different makers represented!

My reg thing was completely different. Since I was in the habit of only playing the bass and middle regs for hand-chords, I took out the little reg and had a reg made that only played the note E.

The reason was that I used the regs to play the melody quite a bit, and I wanted that note E. That extra reg gave me, on the regs, the range G A B C D E F# G A, an octave and a note, so I could play many tunes.

I was using this setup for church gigs mostly, playing hymns. It was great to start off playing the tune on the chanter alone, then bring in reg chords, then finish with the tune an octave down on the regs.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle