Bass bar to stock

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bass bar to stock

Post by bcullen »

Ok I am fixing and fitting my regulators. So far the problem I am having is with the air flow from the hole in the reg baritone chamber from the stock too and through the brass bass tube. What is the ideal hole size? and do I allow a decent amount around the leather gaskets at the airway so I can align the holes?. Any hints or views on how this is done. I have a removable bass bar that fits between
2 rails on the stock. My timber insert is airtight one end and I get an nice flow ( mouth blown ) of air from the bass bar inlet through to the keys. No reed yet

Bryan
bcullen

Re: Bass bar to stock

Post by bcullen »

Ok thank you for all the advice I am totally underwhelmed. My options then are, trial an error I will start with a 3mm hole working up in millimeters until I have an optimum air flow I can always plug a hole if it is too big and I will smear vaseline on the leather to assist in an airtight gasket.

I would like to Thank myself for the advice and take leave of this forum. That is after all inundated with copious multiple posts every day and I do not wish to be a burden.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Thankyou for taking my advice before I gave it, which is " ask yourself the questions" you'll get better answers.

It is as if you expect that those who might know the answers have all the time and patience in the world to help you.

Asking myself the questions is what I had to do when I started making Pipes because there were precious few people around who might have been able to help and in those days there was no Instantnet so any asking was by phone or letter....

It is people with your attitude that have put off the helpfull ones here ! Your question is really more for the Pipemakers... and how many of them do you see frequenting this forum lately?

So, if you actually ask nicely and say thankyou for the previous times I have GIVEN advice... I might... MIGHT make some suggestions!!

Geoff.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

geoff wooff wrote:It is people with your attitude that have put off the helpfull ones here ! Your question is really more for the Pipemakers... and how many of them do you see frequenting this forum lately?
A good point, and I hope you don't dessert us, Geoff.

In fact, I would go further:- does anyone know if the NPU or any such organisation has a "Piping Hall of Fame"? If they do then perhaps they could include some helpful, knowledgeable pipermakers and reedmakers in "The Hall". And hopefully, they wouldn't have to wait till they're 6 feet under before they were honoured. (Even the most conservative organisations seem to be able to fast-track their procedures these days.)

OK, by all accounts there seem to be quite a few good young makers around nowadays and maybe one day they will be "ten-a-penny". but where would they all be if it wasn'y for the people who have already trodden the hard miles?
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Driftwood wrote:In fact, I would go further:- does anyone know if the NPU or any such organisation has a "Piping Hall of Fame"? If they do then perhaps they could include some helpful, knowledgeable pipermakers and reedmakers in "The Hall". And hopefully, they wouldn't have to wait till they're 6 feet under before they were honoured. (Even the most conservative organisations seem to be able to fast-track their procedures these days.)
Yea! totally. Take Alain Froment for instance, as we'd all agree probably the greatest Uilleann pipe maker who has ever lived. and what is done to commemorate his life's work, AFAIK nothing. Its just not right.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Driftwood wrote:
geoff wooff wrote:It is people with your attitude that have put off the helpfull ones here ! Your question is really more for the Pipemakers... and how many of them do you see frequenting this forum lately?
A good point, and I hope you don't dessert us, Geoff.

OK, by all accounts there seem to be quite a few good young makers around nowadays and maybe one day they will be "ten-a-penny". but where would they all be if it wasn'y for the people who have already trodden the hard miles?

I doubt I'll be desserting here soon Driftwood.

"Quite a few good young makers around nowadays" yes perhaps there are but by some accounts they are finding it a little difficult making a living.

Still, I have prevaricated long enough so after having my little bitch I'd better try and answer Bryan's question:

I don't make solid mainstocks, so I do not drill through into the Baritone regulator port, but Michael Egan did and the hole in the stock of the Egan set that belonged to John Wayland ( picture on page 331 of O'Neill's Irish Minstrels and Musicians) is 7/32" diameter. That set was previously owned by Michael Wallace, of whom Egan gave the accolade "one of the two finest pipers I ever heard"!
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Hi Geoff,you raised an interesting point in your previous post (see below). I was wondering are you willing to give us your thoughts on that point or would your prefer to just give advice as it is asked, either way its great to have you on the forum.
geoff wooff wrote:"Quite a few good young makers around nowadays" yes perhaps there are but by some accounts they are finding it a little difficult making a living.
I was surprised by this point as I thought that the only problem pipemakers had at this time was keeping up with their workload. According to reports the demand way out strips the supply .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Hi Rory,

I do not wish to get into discussion on a public forum about the state of the market for new pipes and new makers because I know no more facts about it than my own situation and what other people have told me... which is then just hearsay. As my statement said " by some accounts".

I do not know reports of 'demand way out strips supply' other than the National appeal for funds made by NPU for their Pipecraft courses. We know that some makers do have very long waiting lists... but do they all ?
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I would think the second hand market is having an impact.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

geoff wooff wrote:Hi Rory,

I do not wish to get into discussion on a public forum about the state of the market for new pipes and new makers because I know no more facts about it than my own situation and what other people have told me... which is then just hearsay. As my statement said " by some accounts".

I do not know reports of 'demand way out strips supply' other than the National appeal for funds made by NPU for their Pipecraft courses. We know that some makers do have very long waiting lists... but do they all ?
FWIW, there are a number of makers in the states who can get a 1/2 set shipped in a matter of months. Based on inquiries I made this spring.
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)