Practice set to 1/2 set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PNB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Practice set to 1/2 set

Post by PNB »

Bought a set of uilleann pipes abut 10 years ago. Was set on learning. When I ordered, the set came with the drone stock not tied in. I believe that the maker and I discussed that I would tie them in when I moved to the drones. Is that typical? I recently sold them and the buyer is questioning about the lack of another bag precut for drone stock. I used to tie in all my own bags when I was into GHB's and always laid the holes out and cut them where I wanted them. Just curious. I think that they are coming back for that reason.
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Practice set to 1/2 set

Post by bcullen »

If you advertised as a half set they may have a point.Having said that I have 2 sets and both stocks are different in size so
to me the stock and drones should match and I would expect drones with a half set as opposed to a practice set with no stock cup
PNB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PNB »

Drones do fit the stocks, I did make sure before I sent. Stock was never tied in.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

That person may not be a good candidate for Uilleann Pipes anyways. :party:
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Why do you say that? I would have been very upset if i ordered a half set without the main stock tied in! I have never done it and there's enough to learn about playing the pipes already.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Kidding, but tie-in is a pretty essential skill, and sooner or later... one will need to be able to do that, and willingness to do it might be some indicator of success in the long term. YMMV.

Here's a Constrictor Knot which can be used for tie-in:

http://www.animatedknots.com/constrictor/#ScrollPoint

Also, I've encountered a few drones of good quality that had no bag or were not tied in well or at all. For instance I know where a very nice set of Ginsberg drones are right now, but they are not tied into a bag.

It might be a negotiating point though, especially if one were convinced that they were of good quality - having a more experienced piper accompany may help. Evaluation is harder!
bcullen

Post by bcullen »