Britishairways tips

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
DarthWeasel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Britishairways tips

Post by DarthWeasel »

Hey folks, I'll be flying from the US to London. Any tips on how I can safely bring my pipes with me?
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
An Draighean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Britishairways tips

Post by An Draighean »

DarthWeasel wrote:Hey folks, I'll be flying from the US to London. Any tips on how I can safely bring my pipes with me?
Already bought your tickets on BA? If not, fly Aer Lingus instead; they let pipes in a hard case in the cabin as carry-on, no questions asked. Not sure about BA; haven't flown them since I took up pipes.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Seamie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

Keep Calm and CARRY 'EM ON!
I have a consort case. Has fit in every overhead so far- BA included. Good Luck
KM

Post by KM »

I recently travelled BA from LHR to DFW, pipe case was about 24" long a bit longer than the 22" limit for cabin. couldn't get any answers from websites, help centres put me thru to Indian guy who was reading the same internet script. Eventually took a drive to Glasgow airport ( before the drop off charges were implemented) asked the BA staff, she said it would be ok but at the discretion of crew on the day. I just didn't make a fuss about it and said it was carry on, no problem. It didn't fit under the seat so it helps to get on early if possible.
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Top tips: if you can, use shoulder straps so that you're not obviously carrying something big and bulky to the gate. Second, check in early and get to the front of the queue. The last people on are the ones who get their luggage hoiked.

Doesn't really matter what airline it is, the guidelines are all pretty similar and it's down to how busy the flight is and how grumpy the staff are.

Lastly, assume they will be taken off you and put in the hold, so pack accordingly. If you don't feel safe throwing them out a second floor window onto concrete, they're not packed well enough.
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

My alternative is to find or make a case the meets the airlines requirements for carry on bags and disassemble the pipes to fit in. My full D set can fit into a case that I made that is within limits for length and width and only 7" thick (so it even fits into the overhead of a small jet). I then pack a gig bag in my checked bag so that, at the other end of the flight, I have something to carry the reassembled set in. Baritone ukulele or alto sax gig bags work well. For my disassembly, I have to take the mainstock out of its cup, remove the bass reg keyed section (the other end curves back so it can stay put) and take the bass drone completely apart including removing the reed, but that is all. And I made felt sleeves that cover each of the parts or sections to keep the pipes from scarring each other in transit, and I go ahead and add in some foam pieces just in case they really need to gate check the case. I never worry about not meeting their requirements. This still does not guarantee there is room on the plane, so check in early, but at least they can't deny my carry on because it is too big.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman