G. Wooff D wanted

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
patrick Jacob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

G. Wooff D wanted

Post by patrick Jacob »

WTB Wooff D set. Exchange Williams full set possible

Also open for a D chanter made by G. Wooff

Patrick
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: G. Wooff D wanted

Post by An Draighean »

patrick Jacob wrote:WTB Wooff D set. Exchange Williams full set possible

Also open for a D chanter made by G. Wooff

Patrick
Patrick, where are you located?
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

I am living in Belgium
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

patrick Jacob wrote:I am living in Belgium
Unfortunately, I am in the U.S. I have a Wooff D full set I might be willing to trade for something interesting or sell outright, but not without being able to play the set(s) in question.
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

There's a set on eBay
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Seamie,

Patrick has bought one, I assume the set mentioned by An Draighean on the Ebay thread. He paid rather a lot for it considering it is not playable currently, but he will bring the set down to me next month and I'm sure we'll get it going again.

The set currently on Ebay is a much earlier model, made in Australia in 1987/8, it is of my first design of Narrow Bore D. Much development has happened in the interim .

I am often embarased when sellers are asking nearly the current new price for something I made 30 or more years ago. This one would have cost about $2500 AUD to the first owner.

Another gripe: I have been tempted of late to respond to questions posted on this forum but I refrained because people don't even respond with a polite 'thankyou'.... as if it is their right to get free infomation at the click of a button.

Geoff.
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

Hi Geoff,
Ooops- Didn't mean to overstep. Though not a fan of Ebay myself, just thought my post might help a fellow treasure seeker.
Best,
Seamus
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Seamie wrote:Hi Geoff,
Ooops- Didn't mean to overstep. Though not a fan of Ebay myself, just thought my post might help a fellow treasure seeker.
Best,
Seamus

No Problem Seamus, I'm no fan of Ebay either! BUT,

it gave me the ideal platform to make the comments that have been bugging me for a while.

Some years ago ( during a really mad phase) several of my sets changed hands for 150% of the then new price.... ok this made me realise my prices were too low and that was the reason we were only just surviving..

Currently I am achieving more sensible prices for new sets which allows me to take more time, do a better job.... I'm certainly not getting rich, but when people are selling a set ( at a huge profit ) that I made made during my hungry years, that sticks in my craw.

So as a word of warning ; don't pay silly money for any secondhand set that is not currently playable and then expect somebody else to put it back into order for a pittance.

Good hunting.

Geoff.
omarapiping

Post by omarapiping »

Great thread,
Screen shot sent to withholding parent. Expecting, as oft said in the corporate world, a set to be "cascaded" down to yours truly.
Thanks Geoff!
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

geoff wooff wrote:Patrick has bought one, I assume the set mentioned by An Draighean on the Ebay thread. He paid rather a lot for it considering it is not playable currently, but he will bring the set down to me next month and I'm sure we'll get it going again.
And that is the ONLY reason I sold them to Patrick (and turned down other offers), because he is close enough to you and knows you well enough, to get you to set them right.
geoff wooff wrote:So as a word of warning ; don't pay silly money for any secondhand set that is not currently playable and then expect somebody else to put it back into order for a pittance.

Good advice for certain; for myself, I will never again buy a second-hand set of any make that I am not able to play beforehand.

For the record, I did not set/ask any price for them; I merely accepted his first offer as tendered without quibble or bargaining of any kind. A willing buyer and seller defines the market value. And I was honest in my description of the problems with the set. Also for the record, I did not make a profit on them - I lost money due to the difference in the exchange rate from the time that I bought them. I am very glad that Patrick is happy to have them, and that you are close by and still able to set them right again Geoff.

And thank you Geoff for your information and contributions to the forum and piping in general.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

omarapiping wrote:Great thread,
Screen shot sent to withholding parent. Expecting, as oft said in the corporate world, a set to be "cascaded" down to yours truly.
Thanks Geoff!
Ha Ha! good job we know what that is all about eh Liam ? :thumbsup:
Geoff.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

[quote="An Draighean"

And that is the ONLY reason I sold them to Patrick (and turned down other offers), because he is close enough to you and knows you well enough, to get you to set them right.

For the record, I did not set/ask any price for them; I merely accepted his first offer as tendered without quibble or bargaining of any kind. A willing buyer and seller defines the market value. And I was honest in my description of the problems with the set. Also for the record, I did not make a profit on them - I lost money due to the difference in the exchange rate from the time that I bought them. I am very glad that Patrick is happy to have them, and that you are close by and still able to set them right again Geoff.

.[/quote]

That sounds very good and fair An Draighean . The set you sold is an entirely different prospect, being a 'this century' instrument. Patrick played the latest NBD, the one I made for Peter Laban, before it left for Co.Clare. so he knows what he wants his new baby to sound like and is very happy with his purchase.

Best regards and no slight intended,
Geoff.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I have not been on to ask questions but I do read any post that you make Geoff.

I am always pleased that you find the time to lend your expert knowledge instead of the myths that we need to rely on here. Well meaning opinions from the forum community but not the same as a respected maker chiming in.

I for one thank you!
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

geoff wooff wrote:That sounds very good and fair An Draighean . The set you sold is an entirely different prospect, being a 'this century' instrument. Patrick played the latest NBD, the one I made for Peter Laban, before it left for Co.Clare. so he knows what he wants his new baby to sound like and is very happy with his purchase.

Best regards and no slight intended,
Geoff.
Thanks for that Geoff, and all the best for your endeavours.
Lee
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Hi All,

Not being a lot on the forum at all, I never suspected so much response to my topic. Indeed it had a good result and I found a lovely set.

Groeten,
Patrick