Ode to the Irish

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CorneliusG
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a new Uillean piper (5 years), but a GHB piper of several decades. I'm interested in this forum for the information I can gather on the UP. I work with a UP teacher, but he's the only one I know who plays and I can't be bothering him all the time. (That's not really me in the photo.)

Ode to the Irish

Post by CorneliusG »

There's a lovely air (perhaps a waltz) on a collection of tunes by Michael Reilly that goes by the title 'Ode to the Irish'. I can't find the music for it anywhere under that name on The Session (my standard place for tune-hunting). Is anyone familiar with it? Is that what it's really called?
CorneliusG
Tell us something.: I'm a new Uillean piper (5 years), but a GHB piper of several decades. I'm interested in this forum for the information I can gather on the UP. I work with a UP teacher, but he's the only one I know who plays and I can't be bothering him all the time. (That's not really me in the photo.)

Re: Ode to the Irish

Post by CorneliusG »

Sorry, I should have included a link to the tune:

https://youtu.be/FnfmdK_KqXk
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

A modern composition; neither traditional nor Irish.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
CorneliusG

Post by CorneliusG »

Well, given the outpouring of responses I got from my query I suppose the tune is unfamiliar to many here. Anyway, I reverse engineered it using the ASD application, so there it is. I never could find the sheet music, even though I would have paid for it.

A wonderful tune, IMHO - heavily orchestrated in this recording, I grant, but still a beautiful UP piece. Not traditional, to be sure, as it was recently composed. Not Irish? I don't know. It apparently was composed around 1998 by Michael Reilly, something of a musical savant - a self-taught composer and doctor by profession. I don't know if he even played the UP. The performer was Brendan McKinney, whom I've never heard of.
john

Post by john »

When I clicked the link it said it's unavailable. Is it because I'm in the UK? Doubt it, but would like to have a listen.
CorneliusG

Post by CorneliusG »

Could be because you're in the UK, but I accessed the link from the USA.

Try this: in YouTube, search on "Michael Reilly Ode to the Irish". That should bring it up.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Brendan is a Chicago piper. Chicago-ish, anyway.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Seems that the composer is a holistic healer, self-taught composer, country musician, and many, many other things.

One thing he is not, is Irish.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Brendan owns Chief O'Neill's pub in Chicago, and has been there a long time, but grew up in the Detroit area. I'd call him a Chicago piper (and flute player) anyway.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

CorneliusG wrote:Sorry, I should have included a link to the tune:

https://youtu.be/FnfmdK_KqXk
I finally listened to it.

The first section strikes me as being somewhat shapeless and repetitious, but then in the second section it becomes more melodic.

He's getting a good sound out of the pipes, for sure.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle