"Open Scale" fingering?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Flutulator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

"Open Scale" fingering?

Post by Flutulator »

At the end of the Clarke book there is a fingering chart for the "open scale."

Do people actually use this fingering much in practice?
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
dyersituations

Re: "Open Scale" fingering?

Post by dyersituations »

I've never seen a piper use entirely open fingering. But I have seen pipers use a more open fingering for particular notes during a tune for a change in tone. For example, I use a more open fingering for low F# rolls occasionally for emphasis (two fingers open instead of one and off the leg).
Life is good.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

Certain pipers use it more than others. In my mind Jimmy O'Brien-Moran & Ronan Browne both have styles in which they'll open up the chanter while still using tighter fingering in certain places & chanter stops to embellish phrasing. (Both are used to playing older flat sets & have an affinity for Willie Clancy's playing... )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4OiAVa21lg

Apart from the air playing, watch around 1:50 when he starts getting into the jig.
Here's one where you can watch Ronan do his thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9dgA6JHOPk

It's usually not a case of one way vs another, at least not really anymore. I also want to say that I don't consider a definite 'fingering chart' with an open style. The A could be played with just one finger lifted, or two, or three etc. and each chanter will respond differently.
john

Post by john »

the late Peter Hunter used to call open playing 'all vowels with no consonants' - as far as i can tell jimmy and ronan open extra holes and lift the chanter to derive more tonal colour - the diagram in the clarke book, if i remember correctly, shows all the holes open below those which would be required for closed fingering - i don't think i can think of a player who plays what i understand to be a strict open style but i have heard some very legato playing from leo and leon rowsome, and, i think as well, felix doran and johnny rooney
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

Here's a clip of a young Finbar. Some of the close ups show open fingering very well.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/1104/48 ... hers-1963/
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

OK, that clip of Finbar sure seems to show lots and lots of fingers in the air!

Thanks.
myles

Post by myles »

[Edited]

The open scale sounds quite different. You might make an artistic choice to use it - it doesn't have to be a matter of accessing the regs (mainly as it doesn't make a huge amount of difference on lower hand notes anyway).

The open fingerings are also part of the very fast, fluid style demonstrated by Finbar Furey in that clip - to my ears the notes aren't articulated quite the same way when closed fingerings are used, even if a 'closed' player has a particularly legato style.

Having said all that a lot of Finbar's piping, even on his older records, has a good dose of crisp staccato phrasing in it. Like all good players it's just one technique among many...
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Historically, open fingering was often associated with Traveler pipers, some of whom played very fast (i.e, Johnny Doran, Paddy Keenan, Finbar Furey, etc.). Nowadays, I would agree with the others that say it is an artistic choice, that works particularly well to colour certain notes on flat chanters especially. In my opinion, a beginning piper would be well-served to learn the tighter fingering and playing first, and experiment with the more open fingerings later as he/she gets more experience.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

To me it seems to be something that mainly concerns the lower notes G F# and E in the low octave when played off the leg. (Though Denis Brooks gives an entire legato scale.)

What I use is

x xxx ooox (o)
x xxx xoox (o)
x xxx xxox (o)

I use them in certain situations where it avoids having to repeatedly move the chanter on and off the leg in succession, and in general makes alternations of those various low notes easier.

For example

A F# E F# D F# E F#

Paddy Keenan uses in a reel where instead of cranning Bottom D he plays legato F# E D triplets, the whole phrase done off the leg.

Many years ago I heard Liam O Flynn in concert and I was surprised to see him play G in the low octave off the leg most of the time.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

For the sake of clarity it is probably a good idea to distinguish between 'open fingering': leaving the minimum number of fingers on the chanter to play a note (opposed to 'closed' fingering, opening only the minimum required number of holes to play a note) and 'open' playing or 'legato' playing ie not closing the chanter between notes. They are really two different things flying under the same name even when it is eminently possible (and far from uncommon) to either take more fingers off the chanter than strictly required and still play 'non legato' or to play fully legato while opening the minimum number of holes.
My brain hurts

Flutulator

Post by Flutulator »

Mr.Gumby wrote:For the sake of clarity it is probably a good idea to distinguish between 'open fingering': leaving the minimum number of fingers on the chanter to play a note (opposed to 'closed' fingering, opening only the minimum required number of holes to play a note) and 'open' playing or 'legato' playing ie not closing the chanter between notes. They are really two different things flying under the same name even when it is eminently possible (and far from uncommon) to either take more fingers off the chanter than strictly required and still play 'non legato' or to play fully legato while opening the minimum number of holes.

Yup - the original question was about open *fingering,* specifically.