What's wrong with my set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What's wrong with my set?

Post by awildman »

I bought a practice set last year intending to learn and haven't played it much (health problems). In the fall, I had my local pipemaker, Brad Angus, go through it and make sure everything was in good order, including a new reed. I played it a few times after that, but then it sat idle. Even worse, we had an unusual cold snap during the winter for about a week, and the air got really dry. The wood must have shrunk because almost every single fitting was loose. The wood never regained its original size - fittings were still loose until I added thread today.

Everything seals (I think - bag holds pressure when I keep all fingers down with chanter on knee). But no matter what I try, i cannot get the thing to play right. It's too quiet, and I can't get much out of the lower octave. When I do get low D, E, F# to work, they want to autocran like crazy. If I squeeze the bag like normal, it chokes the reed into silence. Conversely, super light pressure on the bag makes it play quietly in the second octave. I can only play a couple tunes, but this is not how my set was behaving after Brad tuned it up. Common sense seems to tell me that the reed was also a victim of the weather, although I wouldn't rule out something else due to my inexperience.

I guess I'm asking if there is something non-invasive I can do myself to get this back into playing condition?
dyersituations

Re: What's wrong with my set?

Post by dyersituations »

Having to adjust tenons and reeds as the weather changes is common, if not expected. I live near you, and I had to add thread to two of my sets this spring. And my reeds also closed up a tiny bit, especially on the set I haven't been playing as much.

It sounds like your reed closed up a bit in the winter. Both being quieter and autocranning on the low D can often be improved by opening up the reed. If you're comfortable with adjusting the reed, try moving up the bridle a very small amount, like less than a mm. You should notice the lips open a tiny bit.

Also you could call up Brad again. He's great about any work he does, and when I was first starting, he helped me with some reeds that didn't survive a warm summer.
Life is good.
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

Who made your uilleann pipes and chanter reed.

http://www.uilleann.com/reeds.html

uilleann pipe reed adjustment

Which bridle type copper strip or copper wire bridle.

1: using the needle-nosed pliers squeeze very very gently at the corners of the bridle with the pliers this will open the reed lips

2: check the crow by sucking and the bottom of reed usually get pitch around G#sharp
http://www.hartdd.com/reedmaking/ http://www.hartdd.com/reedmaking/crowA8.wav

3: also when sucking the bottom of reed cover the lips of reed head at top with finger and check for any leeks at side of reed head
rub with wax if any leeks

All the best

Fergus
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

If Fergus's advice doesn't work try hitting it with a heavy hammer.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
awildman

Post by awildman »

Casey nailed it. I moved the bridle up a bit to open the reed and it seems to be just fine now.

Thanks, guys!
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

awildman wrote:Casey nailed it. I moved the bridle up a bit to open the reed and it seems to be just fine now.

Thanks, guys!
Good to hear!
Life is good.