Any reason *not* to get drones from. . .

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Flutulator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Any reason *not* to get drones from. . .

Post by Flutulator »

More newbish questions. . .

So I have a practice set on hand and have decided to invest in drones now. I agonized about which pitch, but if I only end up with one set and I want to gig, eventually, I 'spose it should be in D.

Anyhoo, I recently contacted Andreas Rogge and he has a wait time measured in months. The price for drones is in my range, and I don't see a downside. I know that he's particularly well regarded for flat sets, but a fair number of folks like his concert pitch stuff too.

I've already factored in the hassle factor of dealing with an overseas purchase. I have a local source of reeds and advice for my chanter, and so I feel *relatively* safe ordering from a non-local shop.

Anything I am missing?
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Any reason *not* to get drones from. . .

Post by rorybbellows »

Sounds good ,go for it.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Many of my students have Rogge drones, no one has ever had any problems with them.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Flutulator wrote:
I've already factored in the hassle factor of dealing with an overseas purchase.
Have you factored in the expense of getting a CITES certificate? This will be necessary to ship African Blackwood overseas legally (and many other woods too).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Flutulator wrote:
I've already factored in the hassle factor of dealing with an overseas purchase.
Have you factored in the expense of getting a CITES certificate? This will be necessary to ship African Blackwood overseas legally (and many other woods too).
Excellent point!

I was actually considering other materials, but it'd be good to know more about this. Anyone have a reference handy for CITES concerns and uilleann pipes?
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Any instrument made of Dalbergia timbers after January 2nd 2017 needs to be delivered by the maker with a certificate, to document that the wood has been harvested legally or has been in the possession of the maker before Jan 2nd - no matter if it is shipped overseas or not.
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

In my (hopefully) humble opinion- Andreas's drones are the best I've ever played. Bang on when you hit the switch and rock steady with his composite reeds. His bass resonator isn't the standard "tinker toy", but hollowed out for some additional volume and vroom.
Combined with top class metal and woodcraft and you've a set hat is worth the price just as eye candy alone (Can you tell I'm a fan?)
Beautiful work top to bottom. I have both D and C sets and never a problem shipping to the US.
Flutulator

Post by Flutulator »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Flutulator wrote:
I ended up placing an order for plumwood + box, so that issue ended up being academic. I also wanted to try something other than ABW for a change;)
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

Nice to hear another piper soon playing Rogge pipes.

I play Andreas Rogge uilleann pipes all made from Plumwood with boxwood and brass
Full set wide bore D and extra chanters in narrow bore D, C and B.

Who made your bag, bellows and chanter practice set. What wood is the chanter made from.

Will Andreas been adding drones to your existing practice set bag.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Flutulator

Post by Flutulator »

Fergmaun wrote:Nice to hear another piper soon playing Rogge pipes.

I play Andreas Rogge uilleann pipes all made from Plumwood with boxwood and brass
Full set wide bore D and extra chanters in narrow bore D, C and B.

Who made your bag, bellows and chanter practice set. What wood is the chanter made from.

Will Andreas been adding drones to your existing practice set bag.

Cheers

Ferg
DMQ Chanter, 1985. I think it's ebony, based on the date, but it could be ABW. This one the one for sale on facebook about a month ago.

Kelleher bag + bellows, and I am going to use that for the drones as well.