Reed Question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Reed Question

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

On my D set I have a wooden bass regulator reed that has a non-movable wire bridle that needs to be closed a tad in order to be in balance with all the other reeds. When I do this with my fingers and re-insert it, it plays beautifully, i.e., just the right pressure and volume. However, over time, it tends to open itself up again.

I suspect that the bridle has some sort of elasticity to it and "memory": it goes back into its previous position.

Any ideas about how I can coax it to be a little more closed? Maybe I should just keep doing what I'm doing and eventually it'll reach a more closed position permanently? Obviously, I don't want to do anything that (1) can't be reversed and (2) that would damage the reed.

Thanks!
an seanduine

Re: Reed Question

Post by an seanduine »

Depends on the type of wood. The beauty of wooden reeds is they are much less influenced by ambient humidity changes. However they can be altered, 'persuaded', by humidity over time. Some woods will take a 'set' more readily than others, and retain that 'set' after drying better than others.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
brassnebony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brassnebony »

Change the bridle to a more rigid version.
You can cut one from sheet copper or you could use wire but increase the amount of wraps.
uillmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by uillmann »

That is the kind of regulator reed I like. One that will always spring back open, but just a tad. True, the kinder, gentler bridle is preferred. But one that will still do its job, no matter the conditions.
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful responses.

For the time being, I think I'll just keep pinching the reed closed and see if it'll settle into more accommodating position vis-a-vis the other reeds. Since it's the bass regulator, it's not too much to take it out before playing and giving it a squeeze.

Mark, it also has that wabi-sabi imperfection thing to it: one side is closed more than the other. Because of this, it does not jump the octave!