Finbar Furey's pipes, the sound?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Finbar Furey's pipes, the sound?

Post by Steampacket »

Finbar's pipes are some of the best sounding concert pitch pipes I've heard. Does he play a Leo Rowsome set, or is it a Kennedy set? I know he makes his own reeds. So I'm assuming it's a combination of the Rowsome chanter?, and Finbar's reed that give this sound. Unless it's the result of the recording mix? Here's a recording from 1969 "Roy's hands" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M7uFDjhox0
MichaelLoos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Finbar Furey's pipes, the sound?

Post by MichaelLoos »

That was his Kennedy set.
In the mid 1970ies he switched to a Brian Howard set which he played with different chanters over the years (Howard, Rowsome, Bourke, Froment, maybe others as well). Sounded even better IMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n894h7Su2M
Some years ago he has replaced the regulators with regs copied from a Rowsome set, AFAIK.
myles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

The Kennedys have a very bright sound - a bit sharp of modern concert pitch I think a la Rowsome / Crowley, that may be something in what you're hearing. It's not a sound you hear much these days, I think reedmakers and sound engineers aim for something a bit different...but it was Finbar's playing on the early Fureys albums that first drew my attention to the existence of the instrument.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks Michael Loos & Myles. Yes it was Finbar's pipes, the sound and playing that I first heard on the Nonesuch LP "The Irish pipes of Finbar Furey" I first heard it in 1977-78, although it was recorded in 1969 I see now. The first time I heard solo uilleann pipes. I was captivated and that was that. Had to get hold of a set. Which I did and I'm still playing and enjoying it. Finbar's sound is different as you say, bright, silvery, light, airy.