Plastic reeds...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

Has anyone made one of these from a US yoghurt container with any success? Can anyone reccomend the container they used?

Dionys
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Nope but I made chanter reed-like thingies from straws of different diameters. Haven't figured how to play them in tune but they seems to have quite a range in pitch, which can be varied by sticking the straw into your mount in different extents=)
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Dionys,
The 'yougurt' reed websites I've seen relied on the natural curve of the container. You have to cut the pieces in the correct spot to make them work.
Pipemaker Bob May has a different approach to making plastic reeds. He's been very successful with prototypes of heat formed plastic reeds and if there's enough request for it, he might consider doing it as a business.
His e-mail: "Bob May" may@mtco.com
If the cane reeds you're using are traditional in shape and size, he could already have a plastic reed to work with little or no modification.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2001-09-25 05:57 ]</font>
curioso

Post by curioso »

I haven't done it myself, mind you, but I've noticed that various size vitamin/supplement bottles are made from polystyrene (PS), which seems to be he preferred polymer for reedmaking... And if you know anyone with a baby, you might ask about the plastic "Diaper Genie" refill containers...
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Cane reeds are around 1" outside diameter and sanded on a drum between 1 3/4" to 2" diameter... so my thoughts on plastic reeds would be a similar diameter. Typical yougurt containers are somewhat funnel shaped being a larger diameter at the top. I was going to try a container used for milk... the one that looks like an old fashioned milk jug, only smaller. I think it has a useable diameter for reedmaking. My problem is a lack of time to experiment. If anyone decides to try this out, please post your findings here. Thanks