One more question regarding lefty/backwards playing. . .

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Flutulator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

One more question regarding lefty/backwards playing. . .

Post by Flutulator »

Would right-handed key blocks get in the way for a lefty player? (Assuming there's no actual keys?) The chanter I have in mind is not scalloped, FWIW.

If righties want to take a shot at this. . . I supposed you could grab a blocked chanter and reverse your grip - it might be fun!

:thumbsup:
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
robf
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper and flute player from the South West of Ireland. Currently playing a keyless Grinter flute and a full concert pitch set of Victor Mullally pipes.

Re: One more question regarding lefty/backwards playing. . .

Post by robf »

I'm a lefty and I have played lots of both keyed and keyless RH chanters without much hassle. Even with keyed chanters it is possible to use a number of the keys. I suppose it depends on the maker of the chanter but I don't think you should have too much trouble with the blocks getting in the way.
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Another lefty here, and I second everything robf said.

I'm currently borrowing a right handed keyless C chanter that has HUGE keyblocks, and besides looking ridiculous, they don't get in my way at all. Chanters that are scalloped with a right-handed preference are also fine in my experience.

Not exactly what you've asked, but there are also some workarounds to play most keys on a fully-keyed RH chanter as a lefty, such as hitting a G# key with the tip of your left hand's pointer finger.

To expand past your original question (would a keyless blocked chanter impede you), just throwing it out there that the only time I've ever found a right handed chanter difficult as a LH player was when I tried a chanter with a high e key that was just slightly in the way. High e keys are so uncommon though so it's barely worth a thought.
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

Torrin Riáin wrote:Another lefty here, and I second everything robf said.

I'm currently borrowing a right handed keyless C chanter that has HUGE keyblocks, and besides looking ridiculous, they don't get in my way at all. Chanters that are scalloped with a right-handed preference are also fine in my experience.

Not exactly what you've asked, but there are also some workarounds to play most keys on a fully-keyed RH chanter as a lefty, such as hitting a G# key with the tip of your left hand's pointer finger.

To expand past your original question (would a keyless blocked chanter impede you), just throwing it out there that the only time I've ever found a right handed chanter difficult as a LH player was when I tried a chanter with a high e key that was just slightly in the way. High e keys are so uncommon though so it's barely worth a thought.
Pretty much what I expected based on my experience with keyed flutes. Thanks!
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)