It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:31 pm 

Would right-handed key blocks get in the way for a lefty player? (Assuming there's no actual keys?) The chanter I have in mind is not scalloped, FWIW.

If righties want to take a shot at this. . . I supposed you could grab a blocked chanter and reverse your grip - it might be fun!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:32 am 

I'm a lefty and I have played lots of both keyed and keyless RH chanters without much hassle. Even with keyed chanters it is possible to use a number of the keys. I suppose it depends on the maker of the chanter but I don't think you should have too much trouble with the blocks getting in the way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 pm 

Another lefty here, and I second everything robf said.

I'm currently borrowing a right handed keyless C chanter that has HUGE keyblocks, and besides looking ridiculous, they don't get in my way at all. Chanters that are scalloped with a right-handed preference are also fine in my experience.

Not exactly what you've asked, but there are also some workarounds to play most keys on a fully-keyed RH chanter as a lefty, such as hitting a G# key with the tip of your left hand's pointer finger.

To expand past your original question (would a keyless blocked chanter impede you), just throwing it out there that the only time I've ever found a right handed chanter difficult as a LH player was when I tried a chanter with a high e key that was just slightly in the way. High e keys are so uncommon though so it's barely worth a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:58 pm 

Torrin Riáin wrote:
Another lefty here, and I second everything robf said.

I'm currently borrowing a right handed keyless C chanter that has HUGE keyblocks, and besides looking ridiculous, they don't get in my way at all. Chanters that are scalloped with a right-handed preference are also fine in my experience.

Not exactly what you've asked, but there are also some workarounds to play most keys on a fully-keyed RH chanter as a lefty, such as hitting a G# key with the tip of your left hand's pointer finger.

To expand past your original question (would a keyless blocked chanter impede you), just throwing it out there that the only time I've ever found a right handed chanter difficult as a LH player was when I tried a chanter with a high e key that was just slightly in the way. High e keys are so uncommon though so it's barely worth a thought.

Pretty much what I expected based on my experience with keyed flutes. Thanks!