How do you practice

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tok
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tok »

vocalbee .
I had to work up to the full pressure of the drones and it took me 1 mounth . I still shut them off if I need to really work on something . It is nice to see your level of patience and dedication though I must say ,, lol ,, I wonder if really ,, " air piping " at 6 am will do it , .
I see building up to the arm pressure for drones as any bodybuilding thing . I dont go with the no pain no gain approach , though I like the previous comment as to finishing offwith a well spun chune and that seems to set the stage for the next good practice session . There is really no easy way around it , I remember working up a sweat for days to get all the rools in both octaves with a double cut roll . I like to get the orniments down like that . Also to put them in a tune when it gets too much to just repete .
tok :) .
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

Tok,

Thanks, I will get ready for one month of pumping like hell. Do you ever practice with say, just 1 of the drones blowing, then move up to two?

Cheers,

Virgil
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Having been hanging around music majors (particularly music ed and performance majors) for years, I can say that some of the best advice on practicing is as follows:

1) set a goal, don't simply run through tunes

2) don't simply run through the song you're learning until you get it, focus on key phrases and work on them. This also adds to the satisfaction of finally getting every phrase and playing it straight through for the first time.

3) don't spend too much time frustrating yourself. I've become quite adept at the violin and harp (and pipes) in 20 mins a day. remember that it's not how much time you spend practicing but what you do with that time

4) do warm up, especially with the pipes

5) treat yourself to a set of tunes straight through to wrap up the practice

that's my two cents

and Virgil - Slán go fóill means roughly "see you later" (Fan go fóill meaning "wait up"). Slán is simply "goodbye" but actually means "health" (as in sláinte) and is an abbreviated form of slán agat (health to you) and it's traditional response, slán leat (health with you). Go n-éirí an t-adh leat!

mise le meas,
Antaine
tok

Post by tok »

well then . :) .
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

Thanks Antaine, that is solid advice. I will incorporate your guidance into my learning strategy.

Thanks for the clarification on "Slan go foill".

Cheers,

Virgil
kenr

Post by kenr »

Antaine's right about focused practice being essential to making progress, but I'm not convinced that 20 minutes a day will get you seriously down the road to proficiency. I remember an article in the Guardian some years ago by a german music professor who asserted that you need between 1,000 and 2,000 of "directed" practice to become proficient on a given instrument. Nobody can learn anything properly without some sort of guidance.

The argument was that anybody can play any instrument and these are average times. If you've got a real inate talent/ inner rhythm etc you will clock in at the lower end but even if you think you're a real "no-hoper" if you do the hours you will get the rewards.

The other side of the proposition is that if you get your 2,000 hours in three or four hours per day your progress will naturally be faster than the 20 mins a day learner.

In planning your practice you need to consider what progress you hope to make and view it as a long term effort with a number of plateaux where you don't seem to make much headway and other spells where you just sit back in amazement at the tricks you suddenly seem to be able to do at will.

Just keep plugging away. (Insert name of favourite piper) probably started before he/she was 10 years old and practiced 20 hours plus every week.

Ken
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

I totally agree with you Kenr,
In the first few weeks of learning your scales are the most important thing of all, :-? When I started playing all I did was learn my scales, first octave then up and in to the second octave,
I learnt the scales from Heather Clarke's tutor Book and Disc were I would practice two or three hours a day. Once you gain confidence on the chanter your away, then I bought some piping disc's and started playing a long to some of the Air's and then some jigs, I prefer modern players like Davy Spillane, Martin Nolan, Sean Potts who plays in the Donal Lunny Band, I suggest for pipers just beginning you should obtain a double disc called "Celtic Experience" where you will hear some excellent chanter playing by Ronan Browne. There are at least a dozen tracks played on a lovely Rowsome concert D were you can play a long to, not only is there pipes but also some lovely whistle, flute and harp playing. The Disc was released in 1997 by crimson production. Don't always learn and play from sheet music or you won't develop your own style of playing. Also learn tune's by ear which is the Irish traditional way of learning music, and to me that’s what makes that piper that bit more special. One thing I must say is before you buy a set of pipes is ask other players advice first on makers and miss out music shops unless the assistant can play them before you part with any cash. The main thing is getting a good Chanter it’s a MUST. Try to hear the pipes been played by the maker he should be able to play at least a full couple of tunes on the chanter and then accompanying it with the drones listen to both octave’s been played if the maker and seller can’t play them how are you going to know if they’ve got any “bad Design problems” don’t be taken in by selling ploy’s which
You will be loaded on “with” its no good having a lovely looking set of pipes that don’t play in tune, the most expensive pipes are not always the best so do your home work first.

Well best of luck if you ever get stuck and need any advice just give us a call. 8)
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

I totally agree with you Kenr,
In the first few weeks of learning your scales are the most important thing of all, :-? When I started playing all I did was learn my scales, first octave then up and in to the second octave,
I learnt the scales from Heather Clarke's tutor Book and Disc were I would practice two or three hours a day. Once you gain confidence on the chanter your away, then I bought some piping disc's and started playing a long to some of the Air's and then some jigs, I prefer modern players like Davy Spillane, Martin Nolan, Sean Potts who plays in the Donal Lunny Band, I suggest for pipers just beginning you should obtain a double disc called "Celtic Experience" where you will hear some excellent chanter playing by Ronan Browne. There are at least a dozen tracks played on a lovely Rowsome concert D were you can play a long to, not only is there pipes but also some lovely whistle, flute and harp playing. The Disc was released in 1997 by crimson production. Don't always learn and play from sheet music or you won't develop your own style of playing. Also learn tune's by ear which is the Irish traditional way of learning music, and to me that’s what makes that piper that bit more special. One thing I must say is before you buy a set of pipes is ask other players advice first on makers and miss out music shops unless the assistant can play them before you part with any cash. The main thing is getting a good Chanter it’s a MUST. Try to hear the pipes been played by the maker he should be able to play at least a full couple of tunes on the chanter and then accompanying it with the drones listen to both octave’s been played if the maker and seller can’t play them how are you going to know if they’ve got any “bad Design problems” don’t be taken in by selling ploy’s which
You will be loaded on “with” its no good having a lovely looking set of pipes that don’t play in tune, the most expensive pipes are not always the best so do your home work first.

Well best of luck if you ever get stuck and need any advice just give us a call. 8)
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

For what it's worth, I start each practice/playing session by first running through drills both for warm-up and for practice, scales, cuts, vibratto, short rolls, long rolls, D cran, E cran, triplets, etc. I alternate learning and practicing 5 new tunes every other night with playing what I call my playlist of learned tunes the other night. Then on the weekends I have a session each day doing all of the above. Also, every 3 months I record myself playing all of the above for self assessment and improvement. My practice sessions last approx 1/2 hour to an hour weekdays and 1 to 2 hours on the weekend. Practing every, or nearly, every day for a minimum of a least 1/2 hour has really made a difference in my level of play.

Alan
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Vigil, I'd like to see your list of ornments, but can't see your e-mail address anywhere, e-mil em to me on pipersean@hotmail.com

Sean