Uilleann Pipe Teacher in New Jersey

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick O'Donnell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in finding an uilleann pipe instructor in New Jersey. This forum was recommended to my by someone from the Hudson River Pipers Club.

Uilleann Pipe Teacher in New Jersey

Post by Patrick O'Donnell »

Can anyone recommend an uilleann pipe teacher in New Jersey? I'm a beginner, although I have some experience playing the highland bagpipe. Thank you for any direction you can offer.

Pat O'Donnell
Patrick O'Donnell
Tell us something.: I'm interested in finding an uilleann pipe instructor in New Jersey. This forum was recommended to my by someone from the Hudson River Pipers Club.

Re: Uilleann Pipe Teacher in New Jersey

To whomever private messaged me regarding an uillieann instructor in New Jersey; I appreciate your contact, however, for some unknown reason, C&F will not grant me access to read private messages. So, unfortunately I don't have your information. I'm new to this forum, so any advice regarding this PM situation will be appreciated

Pat O'Donnell
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84192

Please read #2, "First time posters".

Please read the entire Concordat (CCCP), for that matter, and acquaint yourself with it. It'll be a great help to you as a member. :)

In the meantime, you can conduct your communications publicly or via email.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Patrick O'Donnell

Thank you for your direction. I'm new to the forum and am anxious to engage. Anyway, your policy makes sense, and I now understand why you vet new members. Better safe than sorry. In the meantime, I'm learning a lot form the various forums.
Tou-Che

Post by Tou-Che »

Where in NJ are you?
Patrick O'Donnell

I'm in Bayonne, N.J. Hudson County. Basically, across the Hudson River from Manhattan.
Tou-Che

Post by Tou-Che »

I think your best bet for lessons is NYC. There's some good pipers up there. If you're ever in the Philadelphia or Lambertville area reach out.
Patrick O'Donnell

Thank you, Tou-Che. I'll take your advice and start researching possibilities across the river in NY. Will definitely reach out when I'm in the Philly / Lambertville area. If there is anyone reading these posts in the NYC area, feel free to chime in.

Pat O'Donnell
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jerry O'Sullivan seems to visit that area periodically. Perhaps you could try him for a lesson now and again? He's a grand teacher, and a swell guy. jerry@jerryosullivan.com

Also, I suggest you consider the Catskills Irish Arts Week (http://catskillsirishartsweek.com) and the Northeast Tionol (http://www.eastcoastpipers.com), both held in East Durham, NY. You'll come away from a few days at either event with PLENTY to work on!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Patrick O'Donnell

Thank you for your post, Cathy. As someone new to uilleann piping, I'm not aware of the various Tionols, Gatherings, Festivals, etc. So I greatly appreciate the info and links for things happening in East Durham. And thank you for Jerry O'Sullivan's link. He's an amazing talent. I will follow up on all this information. Thank you so much for taking some time to help guide a newb.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Patrick O'Donnell

Awesome !!!!! Thank You, Elbowmusic.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And a plug for the Pipers Gathering in Litchfield, CT the weekend of August 18–20. Patrick D'Arcy and Michael Stribling will be in residence for the weekend with group lessons (and the option of individual lessons) as well as workshops on various related topics. (I think Elbowmusic will be there too.)

See the Gathering web site at http://www.pipersgathering.org/ for further information.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Patrick O'Donnell

The Gathering in Litchfield looks like a great opportunity (for a newb) to learn and meet people with similar interests. Looking forward to meeting players and makers alike. Will definitely attend. Thank you for the tip.
chrisanpiobaire
Tell us something.: I have been playing the uilleann pipes for about 10 years and reading this forum for awhile and recently saw a post that I wanted to reply to. I have also recently decided (probably imprudently) to get into reed making and this forum will be a useful way to collaborate with other pipers.

Post by chrisanpiobaire »

Pat, I sent you an email with my info if I can be of any help. (I'm about a half hour south of Bayonne). If you do decide to make the voyage across the Hudson, I would also recommend Ivan Goff. I know someone already suggested Jerry O'Sullivan. They're both great teachers and very nice people as well. The only hard part is finding time when they're free.