Uilleann Pipe travel case Tonareli

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Farrier
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started the journey to learn how to play the Uilleann Pipes. Ive been playing for just under two years. I have come here to ask questions and find some tips and to meet other Uilleann pipers

Uilleann Pipe travel case Tonareli

Post by Farrier »

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of Tonareli cases? From the few reviews that I've been able to find they seem to be pretty good and half the price of Bam cases. I'll be travelling back home to Ireland a couple of times a year once i pick up my set in May so I want something light and durable

Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.ca/Tonareli-Violin-F ... 199&sr=8-1
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Uilleann Pipe travel case Tonareli

Post by An Draighean »

From the photos on the Amazon link you provided, they appear to be identical to the Chinese-made cases you can buy on ebay for about $100 less. I bought one of the Chinese-made viola cases for a pipe case; it is OK, gives good protection, and fits in overhead compartments on airplanes, but the latches and the rubber seal between case halves are cheap and after a year or two they don't fit as well as they used to, and it squeaks horribly when you carry it. Now I'm looking for another case.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Try Berwall cases at www.berwall.de All sorts of sizes and much cheaper than those fancy fiddle cases.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

You could probably have a flight case custom made for that price.
PJ
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

I use one of these for my full set with bent back bass reg top and love it.

https://greatviolincases.com/collection ... iolin-case

Other cases that look more industrial (to my mind anyway) have a better chance of being hassled by airline crews, whereas something that clearly looks like a musical instrument case never causes even an inquiry. The hardware on this case is better quality, expecially the main handle, than the Tonarelli. The same company that made mine make cheaper, less "cool" looking oblong violin cases for less money on the site above as well. They also sell backpack straps that work well for this case and that music bag on the bottom cushions the case against your lower back, making it very comfy for no-hands travel.

By the way, of course I ripped out all the insides and replaced it with 1/2" foam covered with black stretch velvety fabric.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
andymay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andymay »

I have the Tonareli case in black for my Northumbrian pipes, it was around £100-120 on Amazon a couple of years ago. I think there's a much lighter, but far more expensive carbon version.

Not much to rip out, some of the insides are only velcro-ed in to start with.

I've been pretty happy with it. The catches look weak, I thought I'd have to replace them, but no issues yet. I also bought a cheaper Chinese viola case which looks v similar but weighs a good bit more, so I'd be slightly wary of some of those.

I can get (just) a full set of concert Uilleann Pipes in the Tonareli case - but you need a bass reg that comes apart to do that really.

Hope that helps.

A
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

I’ve recently fitted up one of those as my biggest, take everything to a gig if necessary. It is good in that it can actually hold several sets of pipes and doesn’t seem to triggere airlines or security unduly. It was also relatively straightforward to retrofit for pipes (even to drilling it for restraining straps). It also comes with quitecomfortable handles and very nice backpack straps. However, it offers no insulation against thermal shock unless you include that in your retrofitting and no useful padding. And it is really quite heavy—if you intend to carry it about all the time, you might seek something lighter, or spring for the composite version. Pics to follow. Feel free to give me a shout if you’ve got any questions.

ImageTonarelli Case refitted for pipes by bepoq

Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here
andymay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andymay »

Is yours the viola or fiddle case, Ben?

Looks bigger (and I guess heavier) than mine.

cheers
A
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Fiddle. Thought I’d need the viola, but ran into one of these in the st (was literally standing next to yer man holding up the pipes to his fiddle case.)
Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here