Uilleann pipes case question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Uilleann pipes case question

Post by Ketil »

Hi.
I am about to upgrade to a half set and I am in need of a case for my pipes. Do you normally keep the pipes with drones assembled or do you take them apart every time?
I am going to Dublin in late april and are there any shops that sell cases suitable for pipes there? Could you please give me some dimentions for the size needed to store/carry my pipes in a "ready to go" mode.
Thanks, Ketil
dyersituations

Re: Uilleann pipes case question

Post by dyersituations »

The case size and amount of pipe tear-down depends on your set and the case. I've seen a vast assortment of cases. Some pipers have cases big enough that do not require tear-down, but most of the time base drones have to be taken apart. When I was doing research for cases, it seemed like most people used a rifle/shotgun case or a viola case stripped out. I have a full set with a bar, and I couldn't find a case that I was satisfied with, so I'm in the process of building a case by hand out of wood with foam lining. My case will require no tear-down, but it will also be quite substantial and definitely not an air-travel case.
Life is good.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

dyersituations wrote:When I was doing research for cases, it seemed like most people used a rifle/shotgun case or a viola case stripped out.
I have and use both of these. My D full set will fit in a 37" rifle case with bass reg bar still on, and only the bass drone slider off. But the case is HEAVY and not at all fun to carry very far.

My favorite case to date is a stripped-out viola case that I put new foam in. It will hold my B or C 3/4 sets easily, by removing the baritone and bass drone slides, plus some whistles, hemp, and etc. It is very light (carbon fiber) and travels as carry-on luggage on every flight I have taken it on.

Removing drone slides is no big deal, since the drones have to be tuned pretty much every time you play anyway. I don't like having to disassemble the bass reg and remove the reed from it's seat if I don't have to. Some people do it all the time though.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Thanks. I'll see if I find a used viola case to try out.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

An alto sax case is another possibility. I use one (23"x12"X5") which comfortably holds my full set with space for an extra B chanter, a few whistles, reed box, etc. I have a taylor-style bass reg which is folded back, so all I have to do is remove the bass drone slide section and it fits neatly.
PJ
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

Consort Cases. Mooncoin. Lightweight-rugged (backed over it once) and fits in the overhead
omarapiping

Post by omarapiping »

My Butler D full set came in a Hiscox case. Solid build, feels quality.

Top of bass reg off (John supplied a reed cap) and bass drone slide off. Fits well with bellows. I remove bass and baritone slides just out of habit and caution.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I use a Pro Tec viola case. It was the largest case I could find that would fit within the allowable envelope (at the time, I haven't check recently) for carry-on baggage. My D half set will fit inside, with room for a flute and a couple of whistles, with only the outer joints of the baritone and bass drones removed (you're going to have to tune when you get there anyway).
The additional benefit of a viola case is security. Who would ever steal a viola? :P Think of what is said of violists (not nearly as much as pipers...):
"So young, and already a violist". - Overheard said by a well-known conductor at a young artist competition concert.
"The difference between a viola and a coffin, is with the coffin, the dead person is inside..."
Disclaimer: I actually like the sound of a well played viola. It's like the flat set equivalent of the violin. I also had the opportunity to perform the Mozart Kegalstatt Trio with an incredible violist and pianist.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

I have uses a few cases for my uilleann pipes.

Case from Robbie Hughes (no photo)

savage and hoy cases of two different sizes
Cases used by Andreas Rogge
Consort Case
ImageImage
Now using Hiscox cases for uilleann pipes (same as mandolin case just lining made to fit pipes.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

daveboling wrote:I use a Pro Tec viola case. It was the largest case I could find that would fit within the allowable envelope (at the time, I haven't check recently) for carry-on baggage.
The viola case I use for my pipes is longer than any of the current allowable carry-on specs, but I have had zero problems carrying it on any airline so far. I think the fact that it is pretty obviously a musical instrument case (as opposed to a rifle case or other luggage) helps, but no airline has ever complained or even asked about it. And it does fit easily in any overhead compartment, with room to put coats and etc. on top of it.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

I have two cases that I use. The first is a mountain dulcimer case which I like because while being compact, I can still fit my full D set in it without messing with the drones. For travel I use the aforementioned ProTec viola case with the guts pulled out. I also put elastic straps on the lid so I can have the chanters out of the way. The ProTec is short enough to fly with.

While I haven't had a problem during air travel it's always a concern. If traveling with another piper I'd be less concerned as two ProTec cases take up the same width as too roll-aboards in the overhead. I am considering breaking my set into a roll-aboard and putting the clothes in the pipe case and checking it, then swap upon arrival. At least as an ulcer prevention method.
Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

Here are the measurments of uilleann pipes case I have used.

Robbie Hughes case size 850mm x 200mm x 240mm

Savage and Hoy cases of two different sizes.
Sizes 31” x 11” x 5” and 33” x 13.5” x 6”

Cases used by Andreas Rogge.
84 x 27.5 x 12 cm.

Consort Case.
700mm x 250mm x 150mm and other case sizes available 880mm x290mm x 125mm & 600mm x250mm x 150mm

And what I use now Hixcox Uilleann pipes case
800mm x 330mm x 150mm

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

I'm looking for a suitable case for my set of pipes, as well. A viola case might do the job, actually.
I take it as you can just rip out the insides of your standard viola case and craft it to be suitable for pipes with relatively small effort, am I right?
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Hooleh wrote:I'm looking for a suitable case for my set of pipes, as well. A viola case might do the job, actually.
I take it as you can just rip out the insides of your standard viola case and craft it to be suitable for pipes with relatively small effort, am I right?
On the one I bought, the lining and padding was just hot-glued in, and pretty easy to rip out. I went all the way down to the bare case, then cut upholstery foam to fit. I had to try two or three different thicknesses and densities of foam before I was happy, but scrap pieces of foam large enough to fit the case were not expensive to buy from a nearby upholstery supply.
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

I have a Nanuk hard plastic case that I use for telescope equipment. (Eyepieces and such.)

Would something like this be overkill?

https://www.hardcases.ca/collections/na ... /nanuk-990
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)