Newbie as newb can be asks: Can I just buy a reed? Should I?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MKE_Chris
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Newbie as newb can be asks: Can I just buy a reed? Should I?

Post by MKE_Chris »

Hello,

I'm quite new to piping, having just picked up a second-hand Pat Sky practice set. I've been playing flute for a number of years and thought it was finally time to give it a go.

The problem is, I'm having considerable difficulty which at first I thought was just me. But after consulting with a few people who have been trying there hand longer than I have, and even having a go at their sets, (we don't really have a master piper around here to consult as far as I know), the consensus seems to be that I need a new reed.

For example, playing back 'D' on a friend's set was trivial. On my set, it's almost impossible for me. I'm trying to figure out how much of this is an adjustment issue that I can solve myself, and how much would be solved by a new reed. I've already found a couple of folks online willing to make a "standard" reed that can be adjusted to play in any chanter, but I really have no idea where to begin. Any resources/advice/insight?

(Also, I'm not sure I want to risk breaking this one and DEFINITELY needing a new reed..)
dyersituations

Re: Newbie as newb can be asks: Can I just buy a reed? Shoul

Post by dyersituations »

Where are you located? Reaching out to the closest reed or pipe maker would probably be the most successful option. Otherwise, have you tried reaching out to Pat Sky? While different reeds can work with different chanters, each chanter behaves a bit differently, and that's why reed makers usually request having the chanter when making a reed.

Depending on what's happening with your reed, chances are it could be tweaked to at least play marginally, but like you, I would be hesitant to tweak my only reed. Tweaking reeds is often necessary as a piper, but it helps to have a good working reed before you start tweaking so you know how a reed is supposed to function.

What do you mean that the back D is "impossible"? Takes too much pressure?

If you end up trying your hand at tweaking the reed, I use the Dave Hegarty book (ebook included with NPU membership) and http://www.upreeds.com.
Life is good.
MKE_Chris

Re: Newbie as newb can be asks: Can I just buy a reed? Shoul

Post by MKE_Chris »

What do you mean that the back D is "impossible"? Takes too much pressure?
Well on my friend's set, if I open the back D hole and apply any pressure, it sounds at least a "D"-ish note (and a proper 'D' in her more competent hands).

On mine, it fizzles out comically no matter how much pressure I apply...

But I do believe I will contact Pat Sky for suggestions, as it appears that I can send the chanter back to him and have a new reed fitted if need be.