Too slow airs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Too slow airs

Post by Tunborough »

rorybbellows wrote:Actually come to think about it, I haven;t a clue what I talking about so disregard all my previous posts in this thread.

RORY
Done.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

myles wrote:I think a bigger problem is the not especially knowledgable audience member who has no particular interest in the subtle sonic interplay of chanter and drones and just finds the more dirge-like airs depressing.
Yeah, I never understood that "depressing" business. I've always felt a bit sorry for people who fear the profounder emotions as something to be avoided.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Great Post I have really enjoyed it. I take no umbridge at being called snide I am by nature Sarcastic, twisted, bitter and an all round Mr nice guy.

Case in point I was really pissed of as a newbie when using you tube to advance my knowledge of pipes These pretentious peepees where speaking in toungues and needing sub titles. I complained to a well known piper friend. His reply "the language is the music" OK back in the box.

There are a few tracks on "Return to Fingal" Semmus Emmis where the tracks are split between voice and pipes, Magic

"Every day in every way I am getting betterer and bettereterer"
myles

Post by myles »

I've always felt a bit sorry for people who fear the profounder emotions as something to be avoided
Well, I agree with that too, but I suppose my point was that (some) pipers do tend to play (some) airs in an overly dirge like manner, which doesn't help. And according to Bunting et al. this complaint isn't new.

Anyway I think we can all agree about Ennis at least - magic is the right word.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Sometimes, the moon and stars align and everything is in perfect tune and you get the perfect chord that just resonates in your bones and the room you are in - and you have to let it ring for an extra second or two and savour the moment. Regardless of the phrasing of the singing, the way you learned it, or how you played it last time.

But in general, yes I prefer to learn them from listening to/transcribing sean nós singers. Super easy these days with pitch-shifting software.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

rorybbellows wrote: I don't know what the trad enthusiasts are like over your way, but the ones I know dont give a sh1t as long as the musician gives it a genuine go and plays well .
Years ago I played A Spailpin A Ruin on the uilleann pipes at a party with a fiddler and a guitarist. We had made the tune metrical so the guitarist could play his lovely patterns behind it, and I quite like the way we play it.

There happened to be a fine sean nos singer present, and afterwards he told me he liked the way we played it, though it was very different from the way it was sung. He later sung it, and it seemed to me that the sean nos was more musical.

Yet I still like the way I play it.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle