Patrick Sky's "Budget" vs. David Daye Penny

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bensdad

Re: Patrick Sky's "Budget" vs. David Daye Penny

Post by bensdad »

Really depends where you are located (you didn't say). But two more excellent makers in the US are Tim and Stephanie Benson, and Tommy Martin.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

I'll also give the thumbs up to Tim & Stephanie Benson, Tommy Martin and add Kirk Lynch. All are great pipe and reed makers and located in the US if that's where you are. They all make high-quality, affordable instruments - not budget sets, so you aren't sacrificing anything on that front.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

bensdad wrote:Really depends where you are located (you didn't say).
Profile says 'I'm an enthusiastic whistler from Finland with an ever-growing interest in Uilleann Piping.'
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

I do not see that line anywhere in his first or subsequent posts. Perhaps it is the laudanum
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

For someone from Finland, Andreas Rogge in Germany or Alexandre Anistratov in Russia would likely be the nearest pipemakers.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

So yea, I'm from Finland indeed. I mentioned that there are about five or so pipers in my country so that would certainly make it odd if I was from the States. :D
BigDavy wrote:For someone from Finland, Andreas Rogge in Germany or Alexandre Anistratov in Russia would likely be the nearest pipemakers.
Yea, I found out about both of them while browsing the web, and they both seem like proper choices. However, as I'm tighter on the budget than I really should be when taking interest in this instrument, they seem to offer a bit more expensive (or rather, normally priced) pipes. The latter one of the makers didn't seem to list prices on the site, would be worth inquiring though.

I have considered ordering from a maker from the States, but that would make it more labourious to be in any kind of material exchange with them. What's more, it's hard to tell how their geographical area there matches my own regarding its weather conditions (humidity etc.), when thinking about the functionality of the reed and all, that is.

So far I'm gaining confidence that Sky's or Banba Gallen's pipes would be a solid way to go.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Go to Ray Sloan
and make your own.
You can get him online
or get him on the phone
Your chanter will look nice
with a really nice tone
His prices are so good
you wont need a loan
What was that name?
The name is Ray Sloan.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

There is a Practice set with Daye chanter on eBay Germany. It looks like it is a Daye chanter with Pakistani bag and bellows. The seller says EU only, but you could try and see if he would post to Finland.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

BigDavy wrote:...The seller says EU only, but you could try and see if he would post to Finland.
David
Davy, Finland hasn't voted to leave the EU yet :poke:

Hsooleh, get in contact with the pipers over there and ask for advice. Someone might even have a spare chanter or a set to get you going.
If you don't know any of them I would suggest Mikko in Oulu (Uilleannfinlander on the forum), he is a great piper, very friendly and plays a beautiful full set by Bill Haneman.
Mikko makes his own reeds and some of the other pipers in Finland might be self sufficient pipers as well.
If so, I would suggest to get a chanter from the same maker as that will enable you get more help locally.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

MarcusR wrote:Hsooleh, get in contact with the pipers over there and ask for advice. Someone might even have a spare chanter or a set to get you going.
If you don't know any of them I would suggest Mikko in Oulu (Uilleannfinlander on the forum), he is a great piper, very friendly and plays a beautiful full set by Bill Haneman.
Mikko makes his own reeds and some of the other pipers in Finland might be self sufficient pipers as well.
If so, I would suggest to get a chanter from the same maker as that will enable you get more help locally.
I don't know him in person (yet), but I've made contact to him and the other pipers here via their (soon to be our :wink: ) unofficial pipers' Facebook group, and basically asked the exact same questions as I did here. That's a fair point about what you mentioned about getting a set of pipes or at least a chanter from the same maker as theirs. However, I'm afraid that set from their makers might be above my intended budget...
firnatine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by firnatine »

I would suggest you contact McCallum Bagpipes http://www.mccallumbagpipes.com and ask about the uilleann set they are making for Fred Morrison. It was modeled after his Williams set
and is available as either a practice set or 1/2 set. Full set is to be ready by summer. They were supposed to have them on their website after the 1st of the year but nothing is showing yet. I personally know three people who have purchased the half set. One of them sold his Kirk Lynch set in order to buy one of Fred's. I believe the reeds are made by Martin Banba Gallen. I've been told turn around time for a half set is a few months. The workmanship and attention to detail is very good and they come with an outstanding set of bellows, bag cover and case.
As for customer service you will find McCallum hard to beat just ask anyone who has their bagpipes.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

I actually own both a PatSky budget practice set and a Daye penny chanter. Like others have said, it will come down to what you are looking for. If you plan on dedicating yourself to the instrument long term you may want to go with your ideal set from the get go.

Chanter wise, the Sky chanter is mellower and has a much sweeter tone which is nice, but the reeds are way more unreliable. I have two reeds for it & it could be a toss up between which would be preferable but neither one is ever 100%(I did get this second hand however) The Daye chanter is a bit brash at times and can be unwieldy (its quite heavy and slick) but always reliable. I've been intending to get a better reed for it but between using other chanters I have I could never be too bothered. So I would quite prefer the Sky, but the hassle of it usually leaves me using Daye's chanter. DD's reed has never given me any trouble and can be opened or closed greatly changing volume and tone without affecting tuning that much. DD had asked where I live before hand and supposedly makes his reeds around your specific climate. I've heard from others the same & have actually met a couple semi-professional pipers that claim to prefer bringing his chanters on the road because of reliability. I also have a set of drones from him that I'm quite happy with as well. They have a pretty heavy bass which has gotten comments from other pipers.

I think it should be said though, that in regards to the rest of the 'set' I don't really like Daye. It's nice to have a perfectly functioning set for the price but certain aspects can feel 'cheap', ex. his stocks are nothing more than pvc pipe. I use his chanter and drones with the bag and bellows of another maker.

I believe Rogge also makes some sort of 'budget' chanter.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

chaos97 wrote:I believe Rogge also makes some sort of 'budget' chanter.
Rogge does make a polyacetal chanter, though I have never heard anything about them. Based on the photos I've seen, the polyacetal chanters have a traditional appearance. The price on them are pretty decent, 880.00 euros for a practice set.

Image from Rogge website of polyacetal practice set:

BigDavy just posted about a Daye practice set on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uilleann-Prac ... Swo4pYbnf9
Life is good.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

For those in the US, Bruce Childress also makes a "Student Model Practice Set."

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
quietpiper

Post by quietpiper »

Hooleh wrote:
BigDavy wrote:For someone from Finland, Andreas Rogge in Germany or Alexandre Anistratov in Russia would likely be the nearest pipemakers.
So far I'm gaining confidence that Sky's or Banba Gallen's pipes would be a solid way to go.
Alexandre is an exceptional craftsman and fine person. You may be surprised at how reasonably priced his instruments are. Im not sure what the exchange rate would be like, but I think it would be worthwhile to contact him.
Martin Gallen seems to be developing a good reputation for customer service, affordable prices, and quick turn around. I'd also consider him for an instrument.