FS: LH Seth Gallagher 3/4th set w/o chanter. Reeded by BK

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Torrin Riáin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

FS: LH Seth Gallagher 3/4th set w/o chanter. Reeded by BK

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Hello everybody,
Apologies for having to abbreviate the thread title so much. In a slightly more verbose manner, it would read "Left-handed Seth Gallagher 3/4th set without chanter. Reeded by Benedict Koehler."

I am selling my (left-handed!!) Seth Gallagher three-quarters “D” set with no chanter. They are made from ebony, brass, and imitation ivory. They include a set of Seth’s bellows and are tied into an airtight leather MacHarg bag. I have had this set since 2010 and have spent the years that I’ve had them playing them with extreme frequency, and they’ve also done some traveling across the country as well as across the ocean (based in North America). I’m very happy with the way that they behave and am sad to see them go as they have treated me well.

The set has spruce/wooden reeds made by Benedict Koehler as well as several modifications (all of which 100% reversible!) done to the set by both myself and Benedict in order to get it to behave exactly the way that I want it to. This includes: plastic inserts in the end of each of the three drones to round their tone and a wooden ring inserted into the brass mainstock cup in order to encourage drone phase-locking, as well as a few others. I have also reinforced the leather inside of the bellows in order to make the gusset feel thicker. This is all while retaining the look of the original gusset.

The spruce regulator reeds are very much in tune, balanced with the drone reeds both pressure and volume-wise, and have quite literally never been touched (besides sliding up and down the slide and rushing for tuning) since I got them. The drone reeds have a great buzz and presence to them, yet are not overly loud and blend well with the regulators, and again have never been touched since I got them except one or two flicks of a tongue. These pipes have played in near-0% humidity as well as 100% humidity and have never let me down. The original reeds made by Seth (Bronze reg reeds and cane drone reeds) will be included. The spruce reg reeds can be replaced with the bronze ones with very little effort as they work just fine, but the cane drone reeds would need some work done on them in order for them to play.
>
I am selling these pipes for $5,800. Videos + more pictures available at https://torrinryan.com/media/

Facebook post with pictures: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5418883 ... 0279908238

Contact via PM / facebook msg / email Torrin.R(at)gmail.com
chaos97

Re: FS: LH Seth Gallagher 3/4th set w/o chanter. Reeded by B

Post by chaos97 »

Can someone explain to me the ring inserted to encourage phase-locking? How does this work?
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

I was going to type out an explanation, but figured that it would be nice and easy to just provide a picture or two:

Seth's usual mainstock cup is just a hollow tube with no insert or "air bottleneck" at the bag end as seen in this first picture:
https://i.imgur.com/0jfQONq.jpg

By adding the small ring and adding an air bottleneck, the drone reeds communicate with each other a bit better, whereas before they were in a slightly more independent system working at whatever pitch they felt like. This means that drones are more likely to "slide into pitch" with each other once they reach a point where they are close enough in pitch with one another, and they all sound nice and in tune with each other because they want to all play at the same pitch due to sharing the same small airspace.

The same effect has been said to happen with hollow mainstocks. This is basically another hollow, but in a different spot.

https://i.imgur.com/kyQ8pry.jpg
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

The phase locking concept has come up on the forum quite a few times and I still cant get to grips with it! The way I understand it ,is that phase locking is when the drone reeds are closed together or open together.
So for sake of ease of numbers say an in tune bass drone reed beats at 100bps ,then the baritone would beat at 200bps ( octave higher) .This would mean when the bass reed is fully open the baritone is fully closed so where is the phase locking ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Tou-Che

Post by Tou-Che »

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

The big difference is that the metronomes are all set to the same frequency, drone reeds are not.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Torrin Riáin

Post by Torrin Riáin »

This discussion is wonderful, and I really love talking about these aspects of the pipes, but if this thread could stay more-or-less on the rails as a "for sale" thread for me, I'd really appreciate it! I'd be happy to answer any other questions about the pipes if anybody has any.

Thanks,
Torrin
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Torrin Riáin wrote: but if this thread could stay more-or-less on the rails as a "for sale" thread for me, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Torrin
Just curious, Do you think that a discussion on a subject that was brought up by up in your OP will somehow interfere or hinder the sale of the pipes you have for sale ?
Personally I dont think its right that you should try and control the content of your FREE for sale thread on a discussion forum.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Torrin Riáin

Post by Torrin Riáin »

I've seen enough threads divert to the subject of phase-lock in my ten years of lurking this forum that I know how the debate on the phenomena tends to overshadow what the original thread tends to be about, and I saw that that same exact thing was beginning to happen here, so I respectfully asked (and am still asking) that this stay a for-sale thread..

If you want to start a new thread, Rory, I'd be happy to continue discussing it. However, this is a for sale thread, and I would prefer that it stay that way.

My knowledge on what phase locking sounds like and feels like comes from experience playing this set before and after the wooden insert, and my knowledge of it is bolstered by talking about it and discussing it with the person who put it in there in the first place.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I'd be happy not to post again on this thread if you would kindly explain how phase locking works. I'm sure if your explanation is concise and makes good sense it would also help with the sale of your pipes.

RORY

PS if you didn't want to encourage a discussion on phase locking you should not have brought it up.
I'm Spartacus .
Torrin Riáin

Post by Torrin Riáin »

It's not up to me to teach people the auditory neuroscience on how phenomena work, I'm just trying to sell my pipes... If you're curious as to how the science of it works, I would encourage you to look back through the many years of threads dedicated to the topic, rather than trying to interrogate a 22 year old kid on the specific sciences of how his drones tune.

Many of these topics cover phase locking much better than I can, by qualified pipemakers and people with much more scientific knowledge of the phenomena than I. Many of these detailed explanations were directed specifically towards you, if I recall. As I said, my knowledge on what phase locking sounds like and feels like comes from experience playing this set before and after the wooden insert, and my knowledge of it is bolstered by talking about it and discussing it with the person who put it in there in the first place.

Again, Kindly, create a new thread if you wish to start a proper discussion on phase locking, or bump up an old one.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Torrin Riáin wrote:I was going to type out an explanation
Ok, a misunderstanding . I thought you knew how it works . Its true there has been many threads about it but nobody seems to know how it works, just a baffle them with bullsh*t rather than a blind them with science kind of thing

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Torrin Riáin

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Bump!
Sorry for reviving the thread from a year ago, but these are still for sale. Unsurprisingly, there is little demand for a lefty set without a chanter. I've been thinking about potentially getting a right-handed mainstock made by a third party and turning it into a right-handed set. If that perks your interests at all, let me know!