Shipping pipes in colder weather.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Shipping pipes in colder weather.

Post by ennischanter »

I am thinking of buying something off of the classifieds, but I am worried if current cooler weather conditions may prove to be too straining on the reeds.

What do you guys think? Should I wait until the weather warms up?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Shipping pipes in colder weather.

Post by An Draighean »

I have had pipes shipped from Ireland, Australia, and within the U.S. without problems to pipes or reeds. Well, the set from Australia later needed new reeds, but that was years later and pretty sure it was not related to shipping.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've bought about 10 chanters over the years, and with a few exceptions, the reeds have all died with a few weeks of arrival. The only times the reeds didn't die was when the chanters were mailed during the summer months (May to September) or when I collected them in person.
PJ
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

If the sender can put the reeds in a separate box, with a small bit of damp, clean sponge, you might have a chance of getting them in usable condition. The last set of reeds I received arrived in their own box wrapped in dry tissue paper. All were dead or dying.
I would believe only what well-established pipe makers say has worked for them.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I have shipped many reeds to customers during colder weather, and they have survived just fine. I can't imagine there will be that big of a problem.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

The set I plan on buying will be shipped from the United States to Canada, BTW. Thanks for replies.

Since it's pretty close should it be less of a problem?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.