Learning material for beginning UP

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Learning material for beginning UP

Post by Ketil »

If you should recommend only one book or dvd for learning the pipes, what would it be?
I know that personal instructions are highly recommended, but not many to choose from in Norway. I have played the flute, whistle and low whistle for several years so I am not a total novice to the music.

Ketil
dyersituations

Re: Learning material for beginning UP

Post by dyersituations »

When I first started, the main tutorials recommended were the NPU DVDs and the Heather Clarke book.
Life is good.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

My choice would be the Heather Clarke book and CD .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

NPU DVDs' are still pretty good.

For books, if you already have any experience with Irish Traditional Music, I would recommend "Learn to Play the Uilleann Pipes with the Armagh Pipers Club". If you are starting completely from scratch (no experience at all with ITM) then Heather Clarke's tutor book.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Heather Clark's book and CD are excellent.

These days several teachers offer classes via Skype. So even in Norway, you can get personal piping tuition!
PJ
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would recommend "Learn to Play the Uilleann Pipes with the Armagh Pipers Club"
That was what I learned out of. There wasn't much else at the time. Not sure I'd recommend it though as a sole source for learning the pipes. A tutor that actually explains techniques and how to use them is probably preferable for distance learning so a DVD or a tutor book and CD that allows you to hear (and, ideally, see) what you're supposed to do is what you want.

But first things first, work on posture, relaxation, bag/bellows technique and keeping the chanter going to begin with.
My brain hurts

oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oliver »

I first learned from Leo Rowsome's tutor and I still think it's great. The one by Séamus Ennis is a must-have too IMHO, although for both, there's no tape or CD.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I still think it's great
As long as you don't get distracted by his explanations of 'turns' and 'mordents'. I had that one as well while learning and the Crowley one as well and there's something to be had from all but they can also lead you astray in various ways so as the OP's question goes, they're not the 'one book' solution. But then, I am not sure there is a one book solution, best learn from all available sources.
My brain hurts

An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I would recommend "Learn to Play the Uilleann Pipes with the Armagh Pipers Club"
That was what I learned out of. There wasn't much else at the time. Not sure I'd recommend it though as a sole source for learning the pipes.
Perhaps I'm just being sentimental, for it was the first tutor I bought (and the only one I could find at the time) also. Paid a whopping £1.25 for it at Hart & Churchill music shop on Queen Street in Belfast. It has a lovely selection of tunes, and I thought a fair explanation of basic ornamentation and some other techniques and devices. But there is only 1/4 or 1/3 of a page on how to hold the instrument and how to work the bag and bellows. I suppose they wrote it mainly for students of the club, who had access to good in-person instruction.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

For just one book, I would say Dennis Brook's "Union Pipes -A Workbook" It covers most everything.