Things making nests in your pipes.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bensdad

Re: Things making nests in your pipes.

Post by bensdad »

I was checking out one of the Comhaltas branch's rental chanters. Plugged it into the bag, not a sound. Took off the top, the reed was fine, crowed when sucked. Replaced it, still not a sound. Nothing visible up the bore. Put chanter on the table and a large spider crawled out of the C hole and disappeared under the table. Closer inspection revealed the bore was completely blocked by some kind of web, which let the light through, but not the air!

Chris' tune title (The Earwig in the Chanter), IIRC, referred to finding the cause of a tuning problem with his pipe band in Rush, The Black Raven Pipe Band
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

geoff wooff wrote:Bit quiet around here... everyone on holiday or something ?
Yea! but permanent holidays probably, anyone who had anything to say has been hounded off. In fact I think it would be an interesting thesis for a student of internetolgy , the life span of a forum. It starts out with everyone being really excited and loads of useful information is exchanged then some "experts" bring their ego's to the forum,discussion ends because of the " how dare you disagree with me attitude" complaints are made, bingo, end of free speech and discussion. Oscar Wilde say something like, we always kill the things we love, dont ya know it.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

rorybbellows wrote:we always kill the things we love, dont ya know it.
We all love you, Rory!
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Actually, this thread is a big wake-up call for me since I invented the very wiggly chanter (if anyone remembers!).

What if something takes up residence deep inside my chanter? I know you can't get very far poking a wire up either end. I suppose the nuclear option is to hook the thing up to a high pressure air hose (having removed the reed first I guess).
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Driftwood wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:we always kill the things we love, dont ya know it.
We all love you, Rory!
OMG, how could you be so cruel.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Willwill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi there.
My name's Willson Barrow, I am a long time lurker, just decided to join. I'm mostly a guitar guy but have 2 cheap flutes, which I play sometimes.

Post by Willwill »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

We have mostly spiders and cockroaches here in Berlin, but a while ago both my garage and shed were infested by termites, I have never seen those in my area. I read an article about these on pestcontrolhacks and decided to deal with pests by myself. I bought boric acid (of course) as well as some chemicals, like fipronil. It took a while, around two months, but haven't seen any termite since. However, if they gonna visit me again, I'm calling the pest service.
:puppyeyes: