Matt Kiernan 30th Anniversary - Sat.16th and Sun.17th July

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Danny McCormick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Jimmy Maloney originally from County Clare started me on the pipes in 1978 when he lived at Nidd Road,Darnall in Sheffield.Jimmy first took me to Matt Kiernan's house in Cabra,Dublin after the NPU Bettystown Tionel in May 1980.

Matt Kiernan 30th Anniversary - Sat.16th and Sun.17th July

Post by Danny McCormick »

Matt was from the townland of Coolronan near Ballivor in County Meath. He was born in June 1898 and died 17th July 1986 in The Mater Hospital in Dublin
He was a member of the Garda Siochana(Irish Police) and in latter years lived at 19 Offaly Road, Cabra, Dublin 7.
He was noted as a maker and player of Uilleann Pipes and also played the whistle.
He was a GAA sports enthusiast.

I had the good fortune to know Matt from May 1980 until his death in 1986.
I spent many precious hours with him - Matt ran ‘an open house’ where everyone was welcome without any distinction whatsoever!

His Requiem Mass was held at Christ The King Church, Offaly Rd ,Cabra followed by burial in Ballivor on Monday 21st July 1986.

The 6:00 pm Vigil Mass at Christ The King Church, Cabra on Saturday 16th 2016 will be to commemorate Matt and will feature appropriate Irish traditional music. After the Mass all are welcome to Naomh Fionnbarra GAA Club, Faussagh Avenue, Cabra (say about 7:15 pm onwards) where musical tributes will continue. Children accompanied by an adult are welcome.

There will be a commemoration at Matt’s grave in Ballivor New Cemetery, County Meath on Sunday 17thJuly at 11:00 am followed by adjournment to a suitable local venue (details to be confirmed).

Please contact Danny McCormick if you are likely to be attending at the GAA Club on Saturday 16th July (room capacity may be reached) or at Ballivor on Sunday 17th July so numbers for buffet catering can be determined; also if you require travel details or a lift to Ballivor from the Dublin area (and possibly other locations).

It is hoped those attending these events will make a donation to help cover costs – any surplus raised will be donated to appropriate charities.

Let’s hope a fitting tribute is paid to Matt - he was a modest unassuming person not into self-promotion.

If you have any queries please contact Danny McCormick(Email dannymccormick43 at yahoo dot co dot uk
Phone UK mobile 00447500444631 )