Narrow bore 'D' question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Narrow bore 'D' question

Post by Mr.Gumby »

As I said:
On the other hand there are concert chanters set up well that are capable of colouring notes and playing expressively in the right hands, although as a matter of physics, not to the extend a well made and well set up small holed chanter would be able to.

But we'll leave it there and agree to disagree.
My brain hurts

benoit trémolières

Post by benoit trémolières »

:thumbsup:
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

JR I am green with envy. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Richard Evans

Post by Richard Evans »

Driftwood wrote:I think someone should mention the "old-fashioned" fingering charts in the Ennis book and in the O'Farrell tutor in case some readers haven't heard of of them. Using the O'Farrell fingering on my Kenna C copy was a revelation.
I have four vols of O'Farrell as PDF files but I can't find a fingering chart. Could someone tell me where I can track this down?
Thanks very much.
Richard
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There are charts in the introduction of O'Farrell's Collection of National Irish Music for the Union Pipes.

Here are two scans of the scales given:

My brain hurts

geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

The whole of O'Farrell's 'tutor' is reprinted in O'Neill's book "Irish Folk Music ( a fascinating hobby) 1910" appendix A.
Richard Evans

Post by Richard Evans »

Thanks to you both.
Cheers
Richard
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Does the R mean 'raised' off the leg?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Does the R mean 'raised' off the leg?
You'd think that but:
O'Farrell wrote:The letter R is likewise fixed under the eight lines, to signify that the chanter must there rest on the knee, and for that purpose it wou'd be requisite to provide a small piece a small piece of white leather to place on the knee, under the chanter, as nothing will stop the wind so well.
My brain hurts

tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Does anyone have a chanter upon which that chromatic scale actually works?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Mr. G, Your copy of the O'Farrell chart is slightly different to mine which came, I think, via a weblink quoted in Bill Haneman's NPU "Notes and Narratives" talk about the early pipemakers. Mine has the top index finger off for back d and the fingering for c nat is x oxx ooxx o.
tommykleen wrote:Does anyone have a chanter upon which that chromatic scale actually works?
Pretty much. On a "good" day I can get the high cross-fingered c natural but can't rely on it
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Mr. G, Your copy of the O'Farrell chart is slightly different to mine
As far as I know the one I have is a facsimile of the original edition although in fairness it looks a bit like someone tried to 'clarify' a few open holes. It's an edition put out by Pat Sky a long time ago.

The chart in O'Neill's Fascinating Hobby (which I had forgotten about so fair play to Mr Wooff for mentioning that one) has a two fingered d' but the c is xoxxooxx
My brain hurts

jpiper
Tell us something.: Hi i would li,e to help fellow pipers with any questions about their chanters drones and regulators and reedmaking as i have been making pipes for a while without a website for other irish musicians and friends and alao word of mouth,but ill be putting a website up soon.

Post by jpiper »

Hi, the fingering on a narrow bore D chanter should be the same i know this only because i played for years on a geoff woolf whilst learning and since im a uilleann maker the larger bore chanters are and have the same fingering.
If you cant sort it out i can help you
Look forward to hearing from you.
Jay
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

jpiper wrote: im a uilleann maker
Jay
Would you tell us about your pipemaking . Have you been making a long time, have you a website or photos of your work. where are you located etc ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
jpiper
Tell us something.: Hi i would li,e to help fellow pipers with any questions about their chanters drones and regulators and reedmaking as i have been making pipes for a while without a website for other irish musicians and friends and alao word of mouth,but ill be putting a website up soon.

Post by jpiper »

hi all i read all the posts on this particular subject of using different fingering and also the standard finger for a wide bore chanter etc,and i heard someone say that to get different tonal changes ect is easier on the small notes etc.
ok so.......ive started making flutes etc like woodell and rose?prattern perfected etc,but when it comes to uilleann pipes i found a little secret that i thought i found myself but of course geoff woolf already knows this :o anyway you can't get the very best of notes on any chanter unless you very evenly and lightly smooth out the bottom of your chanters tone hole and also the outside too its only a slight change but it makes a real difference.ill tell you the reason.when your reed makes its tone down the chanter and you open say...the A note there is a very sharp entry for the air to get out and continue through tone hole then we hear it.what happens is there is a white noise and some subharmonics that are made with a concert pitch chanter,flat chanters need this shooting treatment too but it much less noticeable because of the lower pitch.....anyway concert pitch chanters can get a much solid and better tone if you apply this techniqe.
i rest my case :D