South Wales Tionol - Sept 9th/10th

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

South Wales Tionol - Sept 9th/10th

Post by RLines »

The South Wales Uilleann Pipers are pleased to announce

Piping at the Old Bridge
The 7th South Wales Tionol
September 9th/10th
Pontypridd, Rhondda

With Special Guests
Mick O'Brien
Emmett Gill

Highlights include:

- Piping instruction (beginner, intermediate and advanced levels)
- Gala Concert
- Afternoon piping recital
- 'The Art of Piping' art exhibition
- Lunchtime music featuring 78rpm records of Patsy Touhey, Tom Ennis, Leo Rowsome, Liam Walsh and others played on antique wind-up gramophones
- Raffle for a beautiful print of Felix Doran by painter and piper John B Vallely, generously donated by the artist himself to the Tionol
- Evening sessions in local pubs

The Tionol will be based in and around the Pontypridd Museum, a restored Baptist chapel dating from 1861. The chapel sits on the banks of River Taf at the foot of Pontypridd's 'Old Bridge' which, when first completed in 1756, was the longest single span bridge in Europe.

Mark the dates in your calendars. More information to follow soon.

For more information contract ricklines(at)yahoo.com
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Re: South Wales Tionol - Sept 9th/10th

Post by RLines »

A little preview of what to expect at the South Wales Tionol in September. Club member Jason Rouse testing out the acoustics at the Pontypridd Museum where the concert and other tionol events will be held.

The gala concert is confirmed for the night of Friday September 9th, and will feature our guests Mick O'Brien and Emmett Gill, as well as well-known player of the Welsh pipes, Ceri Rhys Matthews, and other local musicians. Afterwards we will all relocate for a session at a local pub.

Piping lessons and another piping recital will all take place on the Saturday.

We have secured discount rates of £55 B/B per night at the local Heritage Park Hotel (about 2 miles/5 minutes from the tionol venue). Just say you are part of the Irish piping festival.

More to come.

Rick
My YouTube
john

Post by john »

mick o'brien gets everywhere, i wouldn't mind getting my hands on his air miles - he's got a brother who's fantastic too hasn't he? don't know much about him

sorry i meant a fantastic piper although i'm sure he's a great guy too
RLines

Post by RLines »

More updates on the South Wales Tionol.

We are pleased to announce that Ciara Ni Bhriain will be joining us to teach fiddle classes, and also perform at the concert.

Be sure to set the weekend of 9/10 September aside and join us in Pontypridd for what is shaping up to be an amazing event.
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

More updates on the South Wales tionol.

Saturday (September 10th) all-day fee for pipers will be £30. This includes

- morning and afternoon tuition with Mick and Emmettt
- buffet lunch on site accompanied by old piping 78s played on 1920s wind-up gramophones
- afternoon piping recital by Mick, Emmett and others
- tea/coffee though the day.

On Saturday will also be holding separate morning (beginner) and afternoon (intermediate/advanced) fiddle classes by Ciara for £12 each class.

Admission to the Friday night concert (September 9th) will be £7 at the door.

Email rhonddapiper(at)gmail(dot)com for more information or to let us know you will be attending.

Popped into the Pontypridd Museum this week, site of the Tionol and concert. The main museum area is looking fantastic and will be great for the concert.

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Just about 8 weeks now until the tionol!

Can pipers planning to attend the classes on Saturday please conatct me via PM or at ricklines(at)yahoo(dot)com so we can start to get an idea of numbers and how much lunch we need to prepare.

Thanks
Rick
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Poster for our Friday night concert

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Just some logistical updates following a few questions.

The main events (concert, classes) are taking place in Pontypridd at the museum.

Following the concert on Friday we will be retiring to local pub Clwb Y Bont in Pontypridd for a session. The Heritage Park Hotel (where we have preferential rates for tionol attendees) is 2 miles up the road from Ponty, about 5 minutes by car (or by taxi for those who fancy a few pints). For those who want to stay in Pontypridd itself there is an inn called The Blueberry Inn. Quite nice although we do not have prefertenial rates there.

The Saturday classes are again at the museum in Ponty, although the evening session will be held at the Heritage Park Hotel, so people staying in the hotel won't have to worry about getting back later in the night.

Cheers
Rick
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Just a reminder the tionol is only a couple of weeks away!
My YouTube
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I went along - with fiddle and flute - to the session last night in the Heritage Park Hotel. That was one of the best sessions I've been in this side of the Irish Sea. Lovely lot of people and some great playing. Great to meet up with Emmett Gill again and loads of other people - friends old and new. Mick and Ciara - God but I loved your playing, and there's great fun in there too!

I can't name-check everyone - got home very late and the ol' brain's a bit of a blur - but it was lovely stuff altogether. I'll be looking out for it in future.

Jason, if you're reading this, would you send me - or better still, post here - details of the International Uilleann Piping Day in South Wales? And any other events you think I'd be interested in. :D
RLines

Post by RLines »

Thanks Ben for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the closing session as much as we did.

After a 2 year hiatus, the South Wales Tionol returned with a hugely successful weekend of music and fun at the beautiful Pontypridd Museum. 'Piping at the Old Bridge' kicked off with a packed concert of Irish and Welsh piping and singing on Friday night, followed by a session at Clwb Y Bont. On Saturday we had a full day of classes on pipes and fiddle by our guests Mick O'Brien, Emmett Gill and Ciara Ni Bhriain, a solo uilleann piping recital in the afternoon and of course Halle's amazing homemade dal for lunch! The weekend ended in grand style with an amazing session at the Heritage Park Hotel.

Thanks to all the pipers and fiddlers who joined us, and a big thanks to Mick, Emmett and Ciara for sharing their music. We hope to post some videos shortly.

A big thanks as well to all the support from the Pontypridd Museum, Na Piobairi Uilleann, the Armagh Pipers Club, Clwb Y Bont and the Heritage Park Hotel.

Make sure to mark the date in your calendars for next year!

Pipers and fiddlers standing in front of the Old Bridge in Pontypridd

Mick and Ciara at the Saturday recital at Pontypridd Museum

Emmett performing at the Friday night concert at the Pontypridd Museum

Welsh piper Ceri Rhys Matthews at the Friday concert

Mick and Ciara at the Friday concert

Emmett at the Saturday piping recital

Mick teaching class

Some of the musicians at our closing session Saturday night at the Heritage Park Hotel
My YouTube
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

RLines wrote:Thanks Ben for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the closing session as much as we did.
I thought it was brilliant! I'm still buzzing about it. :)

Lovely photos, too. :thumbsup: