It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:33 am
Posts: 1659
Location: hOriZoNtAL
I was invited to express my experience regarding Mr. Patkos, so I decided to do so. I am a happy owner of one of Richard's B chanters (ebony). I am currently awaiting a D African black wood Taylor style chanter from him as well. It is currently done, and being fine-tuned, and keys and popping valve being examined for maximum performance. Though I did initially have some issues with the delivery of the B chanter, in that it was reportedly shipped out when it was not, I have been happy with the overall work and craftsmanship. I did need to email, and I think I even ranted on here about his business aptitude, but in the end, he came through, and responded to my emails. For the new chanter, Richard has stayed in touch,, maintained his completion date, and sent photos and video clips of the chanter along the way. As I said, I have not received this latest chanter, so I cannot comment yet upon any improved delivery behavior. Supposedly it will be shipped out this coming week.
In short, I have been very happy with his B chanter. It has been a stable playing chanter. I did request a couple of reeds from him in the past, which were delivered in a timely manner, and playable out of the package. I have had a frank conversation with Richard regarding his business practice, and promises, and encouraged him to be forthright about promised times, and/ or, a lack of fulfilling such promises. I think his work is high quality (at least for me), and I have no reservations recommending him. I know there are plenty of stories to the contrary.... about that, I can only hope he has made things right.

Arbo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:13 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Ardennes, France
ImNotIrish wrote:
I can only hope he has made things right.Arbo


I hope so too, but I'm afraid his reputation here in France is too far gone, and it's gonna take a long long time before confidence comes back.
Pity because his work seems good now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:33 am
Posts: 1659
Location: hOriZoNtAL
oliver wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:
I can only hope he has made things right.Arbo


I hope so too, but I'm afraid his reputation here in France is too far gone, and it's gonna take a long long time before confidence comes back.
Pity because his work seems good now.



Sorry to hear that.
Arbo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:58 pm
Posts: 131
Location: Sydney, Australia
Being a small business person requires two major skills - 1) perfecting your craft/product/service, 2) operating good business practises.

Part 2 quite often falls down for many. This is a big issue in my country with tradies. As plumbers or electricians etc they are great, but phone service, communication, turning up on time, and general time management really sucks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:33 am
Posts: 1659
Location: hOriZoNtAL
amckay wrote:
Being a small business person requires two major skills - 1) perfecting your craft/product/service, 2) operating good business practises.

Part 2 quite often falls down for many. This is a big issue in my country with tradies. As plumbers or electricians etc they are great, but phone service, communication, turning up on time, and general time management really sucks!


Indeed, this is so true. Beyond one's work/ product, there is the future relationship with one's customer. I suppose, it's kin of like having children... you are in it for the remainder of your life. Once your work is 'out there,' so is your relationship with that work. You can never really separate from it. Those that understand this have the security of continued interest in their products, and the additional perk of 'word of mouth,' hopefully in a positive light.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:49 am
Posts: 110
Location: Portland, OR
It's nice that you didn't stop with complaining about him, but went on to talk with him about his business practices. Sounds like he's turned around for you at least. Hopefully other customers will profit from your efforts. I hope so, because it seems like a lot of people are happy with his chanters.

_________________
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:33 am
Posts: 1659
Location: hOriZoNtAL
learnthegrip wrote:
It's nice that you didn't stop with complaining about him, but went on to talk with him about his business practices. Sounds like he's turned around for you at least. Hopefully other customers will profit from your efforts. I hope so, because it seems like a lot of people are happy with his chanters.



Thank you for your comment!
Arbo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:32 am
Posts: 141
I have a D full set and a B chanter from him and I'm very happy with both, don't own pipes by other makers anymore. Two weeks ago I asked him if he could make me a staple or two for spare chanter reeds when he has the time. 15 minutes later he sent me a photo of 4 fresh staples, went straight to the post office and sent them. That was good service :D Having met him personally I can say that he is a great guy who is proud of his work and enthusiastic about pipemaking and piping. Can't wait to visit him again next summer for some tunes in lovely Pécs. I first became his customer in 2009.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Huntsville, AL
Better luck than I've had. I bought a C full set from him a couple of years ago. Two sets of reeds were promised with the set. The single set of reeds that arrived with the set were barely functional, and every request for the second set went unanswered. As soon as I get this set reeded, it will be up for sale. The workmanship of the set itself is very good (it's the sixth set in his online gallery, ebony, boxwood, and brass). The customer support, at least at the time I bought the set, is lamentable.

islander wrote:
Two weeks ago I asked him if he could make me a staple or two for spare chanter reeds when he has the time. 15 minutes later he sent me a photo of 4 fresh staples, went straight to the post office and sent them. That was good service :D Having met him personally I can say that he is a great guy who is proud of his work and enthusiastic about pipemaking and piping. Can't wait to visit him again next summer for some tunes in lovely Pécs. I first became his customer in 2009.


dave boling

_________________
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:33 am
Posts: 1659
Location: hOriZoNtAL
daveboling wrote:
Better luck than I've had. I bought a C full set from him a couple of years ago. Two sets of reeds were promised with the set. The single set of reeds that arrived with the set were barely functional, and every request for the second set went unanswered. As soon as I get this set reeded, it will be up for sale. The workmanship of the set itself is very good (it's the sixth set in his online gallery, ebony, boxwood, and brass). The customer support, at least at the time I bought the set, is lamentable.

islander wrote:
Two weeks ago I asked him if he could make me a staple or two for spare chanter reeds when he has the time. 15 minutes later he sent me a photo of 4 fresh staples, went straight to the post office and sent them. That was good service :D Having met him personally I can say that he is a great guy who is proud of his work and enthusiastic about pipemaking and piping. Can't wait to visit him again next summer for some tunes in lovely Pécs. I first became his customer in 2009.


dave boling


That set looks beautiful! I am sorry to hear about the reed issues.

Arbo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Huntsville, AL
I was contacted by Richard yesterday, with an offer to get me a set of working reeds.
I know by experience that in running a one man business, things can fall through the cracks. Here's to hoping he has worked through whatever issues prevented him from giving satisfaction to his customers.
I will post sound samples of the set when I have it up and purring. I'd post video also, but it's still a bit early for Halloween :shock:
dave boling

_________________
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:28 am
Posts: 323
Location: Halden, Norway
[Thread revival. - Mod]

In these troublesome times I had a exciting day yesterday. My new halfset from Richard Patkos arrived.
The set is a absolute piece of art and plays almost by itself! Absolutely fantastic! Richard has been a dream to deal with! He kept me informed all the way and sent pictures of the progress. Answered all my questions promptly and even finished the set way before schedule! I am utterly impressed!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.083s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)