air-leak detection

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I did the beeswax and neetsfoot fix to a bag about 2 weeks ago and it worked well. I would think the honey might draw ants in search of food.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Sarah as promised I rang R>G>Hardie today and spoke with Duncan Cambell.
He said that they make thousands of tins of the seasoning and he has never heard of one complaint.They have been making this since 1964.He did say that the dryness etc could be caused by a lot of variables not least of which was shelf life which may also account for the "stink" mentioned by someone as he said there should be no unpleasant smell at all.To be fair he did say that the seasoning was specifically made for mouthblown pipes but he "thought" it would be OK for bellows pipes.
So I tried to get Wilbert Garvin on the fone but no luck.
So thats as far as I'm going on this one.
Honey and Whiskey was the old timers way of doing it.The whiskey was for thinning the honey and then evaporated leaving a coating of honey.What was left was no doubt enjoyed by the piper.
Slan go foill
Liam
sarah

Post by sarah »

thanks everybody for all the advice!!!

It reminds me of a film (spoof western I think) where the cowboy is about to meet his match in a shoot out, and as he is on his way he gets advice from each man he passes, resulting in a comical result as he tries to incorporate all the tips into his shooting style....

How often do people generally season their bags then?
I am pretty sure it is just the seam on mine giving the problem, but maybe seasoning is a good idea anyway?
I have had the set about a year, and have no idea when they were last seasoned.
On a fairly unrelated subject, I am moving to Buffalo, NY soon, which is quite a dry climate I think, in which terrible ways will this affect my beloved?
No E

Post by No E »

Just get an L&M bag. I have two sets with L&M bags, one for 5 years, the other for 3-1/2. They're both leak-free, and I haven't had to season either one.

-Larry
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BTW Na Piobairi Uilleann Sells L&M Bags @ 100 Euros

I've got one, it is wonderfully thight :wink:

Cheers,

NicolaS.
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

On 2003-02-27 04:28, Nicolas wrote:
BTW Na Piobairi Uilleann Sells L&M Bags @ 100 Euros

I've got one, it is wonderfully thight :wink:

Cheers,

NicolaS.

Nicolas,
Hi.Are they the Elk ones??? BTW I like the Freudian slip :smile:

Alan
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

here you are :wink:

L&M Elk hide bags for Uilleann Pipes
No stocks or fittings

Price: 100.00 euro (Members save 0.00 euro)

Other - NPU has directly imported a batch of Elk hide bags without stocks or fittings. These bags have been specially preparded for NPU with extra longnecks that can be cut to size. The bags have an attrative brown leather finish and are totally air tight.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Sarah...I've just returned from the Belfast Tional and spoke with several pipers there about "Airtight " Seasoiong.Wilbert Garvin and ken McCloud included.There was UNQUALIFIED support for the "wee tin" and none of them over a period of many years have experienced any problem.Before you go rushing out to buy a new bag try it.It has to be worked really well into the leather and they think thats where the others have gone wrang coupled with the manufacturers advice that their tins may have well passed the shelf life.Anyway £6.50 against 100 euros or whatever speaks for itself.If it doesna work(which I doubt given the above)you wont be hugely out of pocket.
Slan go foill
Liam :boggle: