THE GREAT UILLEANN YOU-TUBE THREAD.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: THE GREAT UILLEANN YOU-TUBE THREAD.

Post by MTGuru »

I'd forgotten that Batman was a member of the Bothy Band. :o :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
joconnor58
Tell us something.: Not a new musician, but fairly new to the Uilleann Pipes. I am primarily a bass player, studied jazz bass in university, but also play, piano, saxophone, clarinet and drums. Looking forward to a long and happy experience with the pipes!

Post by joconnor58 »

I have heard passing mention of Low G Chanters (and/or sets), including a statement that Ronan Browne may or may not possess or at least has played one.

I have done a fair bit of searching to no avail. Anyone have knowledge of a recording of one?

edited for grammar
Learning to breathe with my elbows.....
dcurtin85

Post by dcurtin85 »

joconnor58 wrote:I have heard passing mention of Low G Chanters (and/or sets), including a statement that Ronan Browne may or may not possess or at least has played one.
here's a clip from the hunter pipes website: http://hunterpipes.co.uk/Sounds/Low%20G ... itches.mp3
joconnor58
Tell us something.: Not a new musician, but fairly new to the Uilleann Pipes. I am primarily a bass player, studied jazz bass in university, but also play, piano, saxophone, clarinet and drums. Looking forward to a long and happy experience with the pipes!

Post by joconnor58 »

dcurtin85 wrote:
joconnor58 wrote:I have heard passing mention of Low G Chanters (and/or sets), including a statement that Ronan Browne may or may not possess or at least has played one.
here's a clip from the hunter pipes website: http://hunterpipes.co.uk/Sounds/Low%20G ... itches.mp3

Thank you!
Learning to breathe with my elbows.....
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

rorybbellows wrote:There was a big hullabaloo there recently because there was a Jerry O'Sullivan clip with out of tune regs ,but posted by someone else.
Heres a clip of Joey by Joey,so whats his excuse.

RORY
Tuned in one room, played in another. Come over to East Durham, NY, sometime and you'll understand.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

NicoMoreno wrote:Tuned in one room, played in another. Come over to East Durham, NY, sometime and you'll understand.
I understand perfectly,regs go out of tune no matter where you are,but that wasn't my point.
First of all as far as I'm aware Joey Albarta performs alot in public and given that, should follow the good performing practise of constantly monitoring tuning,especially in solo playing. I've often noticed players tipping away at their regs between tunes and if there're not in tune they dont play them.
The thing is I was really enjoying Joey's chanter playing up until the regs came in.
But disregarding all that, the question I like to ask is why did he post the clip up on youtube knowing there was tuning issues with his regs?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Pipey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipey »

The youtube caption indicates another person uploaded the video clip. Maybe Joey was not consulted.
"So many tunes, so little time"

Member - www.hudsonriverpipersclub.com
razzmaster

Post by razzmaster »

I'll say it again- I wish my regs were that "out of tune" (and tastefully used).
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Because he's an honest performer. If that's how the performance was then that's the representation of that tune, that night, under those conditions. Listen to any solo performance, there is usually something you can point your finger to. These are the pipes, perfection is a rare commodity and Joey's playing is pretty damn close! Just play in a session with him.

Patrick
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Because he's an honest performer. If that's how the performance was then that's the representation of that tune, that night, under those conditions. Patrick
I'm not sure if I understand correctly what you mean by that ,but it sounds like "heres me playing a few tunes, some of the reg notes are out of tune ,but thats the way it goes".
For me to be an honest listener I dont think thats acceptable from any musician.
Patrick D'Arcy wrote: Listen to any solo performance, there is usually something you can point your finger to. These are the pipes, perfection is a rare commodity .Patrick
Speaking on a personal level here I dont necessarily want to hear perfection. I can listen to and enjoy all levels of pipeing . The odd fluffed note or squeak here and there doesn't matter , but as soon as I hear out of tune playing ,especially regs that dont need to be played in the first place, then it just takes away the enjoyment of the performance.

I understand that it seems like I'm having a go at Joey here but I dont mean too . I'm sure this has been discussed before because its all to common to see really good pipers spoil a performance by playing out of tune regs. In my opinion one of the fundimental things that should be taught to any piper that may be performing in public is to check your regs before playing a tune and decide if they are in tune . If they are in tune play them ,if they are not dont.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Someone has been busy posting YouTube clips of Dublin pipers.

A VERY young Mikie Smyth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqe-vZdInkU

And somewhat more mature Mick O'Brien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq60Ohiiq0I

And Ausdag taking few of his own chanters for a test drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKRU6fYkOMQ
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

rorybbellows wrote:...I'm sure this has been discussed before because its all to common to see really good pipers spoil a performance by playing out of tune regs.

RORY
Really Rory? Then many a Great from The Piping Pantheon has been preserved in cuts of "spoiled" performances. I would expect this unrealistic standard from a classical musician on a classical music board. Most of us aren't and this isn't.

I fear that this gets to the heart of why many great pipers, whom we would all desperately love to see make a recording, refuse to make a commercial release. Being judged on technicalities like a reg being a bit off-not on their artistry or musicianship - makes it hardly worth the effort.

It also doesn't help that, in our little, remote, piping musical world, the tar brushes are proportionately larger than in other parts of the musical world.

t
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Remember the good old days when this thread used to be about posting links to YouTube?
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Right. Back to programming.

t
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps